Why all the Import Options

It confuses me why VW asks to specify the Import file format.

If I want to import a dwg why is it necessary to select that from the list?

Yes, seeing the list indicates the possible import file formats, and provides

a filter when browsing for a file but it does seem redundant to always have to pre-specify the file format. No?

Does seem redundant. Compare to Apple's Preview, for example. Many file types open without user specifying. For me, though, this is more an annoyance than a big problem.

Lots of features in Vectorworks are parsed into steps clicking through nested dialogs and pull downs. VW Code writers seem to prefer this paradigm. End users are often less enthusiastic.

Wish list?

-B

If you use an Industry series version (Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, Designer) you can drag and drop the DWG files onto a drawing window and they will import. This method also works with other file formats as well like images and PDFs.

It would be nice though to have the ability to just use Open to import a DWG file into Vw.

I may be missing something but "importing" dwg/dxf files DO NOT ask for version number.

However when "exporting" it does ask for the version number. I think this is very important because consultants may not use the latest version of AutoCAD and also various versions of dwg have issues but the most reliable and tried & tested one is version 12. So it's good to be able to choose the version you want to send to other consultants/software.

I may be missing something but "importing" dwg/dxf files DO NOT ask for version number.

However when "exporting" it does ask for the version number. I think this is very important because consultants may not use the latest version of AutoCAD and also various versions of dwg have issues but the most reliable and tried & tested one is version 12. So it's good to be able to choose the version you want to send to other consultants/software.

DWG Viewer has the ability to convert dwg files from one version to another. And you can download it free from their website. I always find it better to export in the highest version because it's more reliable, and then you or the reciever can convert it using the dwg viewer wich will be better because it's also from Autodesk.