MultiCore Processing Utilization

taoist

Question

19 answers to this question

I still say VW is way behind on this.

Multi-core CPU's have been out for years.

I use other CAD software that utilizes the cores.

Especially helpful in Software driven Render Modes.

Which brings up a good question.

Which Render Modes in VW use the hardware (GPU) and which use the software?

taoist

Taoist, a couple comments. Yes it would be nice if VW's was fully multi-threading but as I understand it is is a very very time consuming task to rewrite the code and perhaps the value of the result is not considered worth the enormous resources it would take to achieve it. Secondly, as to your question about GPU vs CPU, you might try reposting that on the renderworks forum. Dave D (lead RW engineer) would probably be the best person to answer this. P

Peter,

Thanks.

I must dis-agree with you about the code.

What is the point of this new hardware if the Software will never take advantage of it?

This means we will always be behind the rest of the industry.

Other Cad software has done why not VW?

It is nothing new.

Respectfully,

taoist

i know what you are saying Peter, but that seems to be the reasoning for NAG's "Avoidance Technique" since Multi Processor Tech has arrived.

Dedicated rewrite has been requested for ages and even for those on Dual Core Duos would benefit by the speed boost not to mention the 8Core and 12Core users.

There are mountains of old code in VW and most of it's problems probably stem from that, it was once commented that some has passed it's 20th birthday, don't know how much of that is left, but i think it is time VW caught up with the tech it is run on and as the PowerPC was ditched with the arrival of 2010 there really is no longer any excuse for running away from the Multi Processor's existence and IF that means putting a Dedicated Team (preferably everyone) on bringing VW into the 21 Century.

It's time guys!

Accept it!

Catch up now!

it is is a very very time consuming task to rewrite the code and perhaps the value of the result is not considered worth the enormous resources it would take to achieve it.

Now that VWs has the new Siemens Parasolids technology I think the result will be worth it especially if the all 3D drafting/modeling workflow is to keep up with the likes of Sketchup etc. as well as the fact that the integration of parametric and freefrom modeling becomes more and more important. Perhaps (as Andrew suggests) a logical point in time to do a (much needed) rebuild?!

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_sg/about_us/newsroom/press/press_release.cfm?Component=115585&ComponentTemplate=822

Edited by Vincent C

AndiACD, remember, I don't represent the company. I was only repeating what I thought I remembered hearing some time ago regarding all this. Perhaps it would be good if one of the engineers or other company officials would jump in and clarify the intent going forward and the reasoning behind it...

And by the way, as far as I know Renderworks does take full advantage of all cores (you can demonstrate that by opening Activity Monitor on a Mac and watching how the processor usage is split back and forth between all available cores).

Yeah this article on the new v of the Parasolids Engine suggests that the shortcomings of many of the Extrude, Sweep, EAP, MultiExtrude, etc. etc. should evapourate along with the shady iterations of Fillet and Chamfer. All that is needed now is for NAG to translate and interpret the guides for accessing the full power of the engine into an interface that is recognisable as pre 2011 VW and easy to work with under a Multi Processor Sun(One Plane to Rule them all . . .).

The engine can handle it, it's designed for it, but if it just gets caught up in bottle necks and poor city traffic management(Too many traffic lights/calming structures) of old code we're never going to see how good it could be.

i've been desperate for too long to see VW become the CAD marvel it's often claimed it could be, specially if as Taoist says the next generation of CPU's are going to pack a 1000 core punch, VW will just be sitting on the benches watching all the others laps us 125 to 1.

AndiACD, remember, I don't represent the company.

Yes i do appreciate that Peter, don't worry, no pointy accusing fingers . . . . . .

:)

Perhaps it would be good if one of the engineers or other company officials would jump in and clarify the intent going forward and the reasoning behind it...

Fat chance

And by the way, as far as I know Renderworks does take full advantage of all cores

As has Cinema4D for ages.

I am glad to see the topic continue to be requested. The response I received from NAG was that it was a very time consuming process planned to be developed over time.

I understand that such a project requires significant resources and that NAG may feel that the current product works, so, gradual modernization seems like an appropriate approach to them.

VW has a somewhat unique placement with its 3D capability/price point and flexibility across many disciplines. However, the package is plagued with a much less professional presentation than competitors. Many bugs, and lack of multi-processor support are the two most revolting stains on the product, and they are both symptoms of the same issue: insufficient software development.

Certainly VW is behind in multi core support. In my job if an employee is behind and tells me the job is hard I listen, then ascertain ability and effort level of the employee. Many employees at NAG have a very high effort level and are great. The effort level and dedication to speedy rectification of the issue at higher levels is lacking. "It's hard, it takes a long time." BAaaGh! Horse feathers. get your act together and make a quality product. Others are doing it, don't give me excuses, give me results.

There is a difference between quality and functionality. Quality is the degree to which a set of inherent characteristics fulfill requirements. VW has more functionality than it has quality. Other products of the same grade(level of functionality) fulfill the user requirements of stability, reliability and speed much better. VW may have a few functions that appear to be better than competitors, which may may bring short term sales, but the long term development of a dominant position in the market comes from quality.

Multi-processor computing is now ubiquitous. One aspect of quality is conformance with accepted standards, therefore, multi-core support is both a function and a quality issue. When I look at my VW purchase I believe that VW could be the best value if management can set a higher quality requirement and apportion appropriate resources, however, additional user time required due to bugs, lack of multi core support, insufficient documentation and lack of choices on training materials-knock VW off of the upper echelons of the "top value" list.

This quality problem is compounded by the fact that choosing to learn VW rather than AutoCAD is a sacrifice because of AutoCAD's market penetration. If I am not going to use an AutoDesk product the alternative must be high quality.

i've been desperate for too long to see VW become the CAD marvel it's often claimed it could be, specially if as Taoist says the next generation of CPU's are going to pack a 1000 core punch, VW will just be sitting on the benches watching all the others laps us 125 to 1.

Amen

I waited for another software package to develop for 6 years. finally stopped waiting and switched to VW. The next 2 releases will determine if I stay.