Worksheet Edit Issues- VW 2009

We have several worksheets that we use for code review, and our formatting is something that we have setup several years ago and we like. We are now experiencing real editing problems with these files (that have migrated from older versions of VW). For example, to delete a row we need to wait at least a minute before the function is complete (you can only watch the spinning beach ball so much). Inserting rows is quicker, but there is some hang time.

Anyone have any advice here for reusing old worksheets? The ones we are using we copied and pasted into a new VW file, by the way.

I don't think others are seeing the problems you are seeing.

What happens if you paste the worksheets into a blank VW2009 file? Does it still take a long time to manipulate? If so, then I would recommend rebuilding the worksheet in VW2009. If not, then I would look at what else in your file has come up from previous versions. If you use template or library files, take a close look at them for corrupt objects that might be slowing things down also.

Jim

Stan here, have you updated plug-in objects after cutting and pasting? You might want to get all the worksheets in a file then open that file in 2009 before you cut and paste. Did not think that was possible?

Hope it all goes well. We experienced this some during the migration.

Pat- What I did was pasted worksheets from a VW file that was created in VW 2008, and pasted them in a new VW 2009 file. Once there, the editing process began to break down, especially when we tried to delete rows, or change text. These worksheets are not linked to ant data, they are simply text that we use for code review. It can take almost a full minute for the delete rows command to complete.

Stan- Nice to hear from you. As I mentioned, these are not 'hot' worksheets, but static text items. We have the same problems when I save the VW 2008 file and try to edit the worksheets there. We have never experienced this type of issue with worksheets before.

We will evaluate the need to upgrade to VW 2010 after the AIA convention next month. But for now, we are cautious with our software funds.

Did you copy the entire worksheet from VW2008 or just the data?

Several things to try.

1. Copy and paste the worksheet from the VW2009 file to a new blank 2009 file. Is it slow to delete in the new file? If so, there is a problem with either your VW2009 installation or the worksheet. If it is not slow, it is a problem with your other file.

2. Create a new blank worksheet in the file with slow deletes. Make it the same size as the slow one. Populate it with dummy data (type some text in a cell and then copy the data. Select all of the cells in the worksheet and paste. Every cell should now be the same as the first cell). Is this worksheet slow to delete? What if you do this in a new blank file.

3. Create a new blank worksheet the same size as the slow one in a new file. Copy and paste the data (not the entire worksheet) from the slow worksheet into the new one. Is it slow to delete? If yes, there is a problem with the data. If not, then copy this worksheet to the slow file and see if it is slow there.

4. If it is not proprietary, post a simple VW file with the worksheet here so we can try and see if it show the slowness for anyone else.

Clearly, the file or worksheets in that VW 2008 file are buggy. I copied the worksheets from the old file, after opening it in 2009, and pasted them in a new blank 2009 file. That is when we noticed the editing issues.

I went back to the old source file, and tried editing them there, via 2009. Same issues.

I created a new worksheet in that old file, and notice that the more text/rows there are, the slower it gets.

I also copied the data only from some of the old worksheets, and pasted it into new worksheets in a new, blank, 2009 file. While that worked the best, it was still sluggish. To scroll/select data from the long worksheets took forever. It is also time consuming to reformat.

Can you remind me the best way to post a VW file?

Below the place you type into go to Switch To Full Screen and click on File Manager to upload a file

Also have you tried exporting the Worksheet Data - File Export from VW 2008 to and external document and importing the data only to VW 2009

Little rule I have which others may think is dumb -

I never ever ever ever ever (get my point) do a straight copy and paste from one VW version to another

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Jim,

Looking at your worksheet, I see there are many floating cells (cells with text floating into adjacent cells). These types of cells have caused performance issues on the Mac. These issues were fixed in VW2010.

Try to reduce the number of floating cells to a minimum.

Hugues

NNA