Double high rooms

I have a room that will be 2 floors high with windows that will be taller than the first floor. Is it best to leave the entire room on 1 layer and model the walls higher than the z value of the layer or draw the lower portion of the walls on the 1st floor layer ad the upper portion on the second floor layer.

If I leave them on the first layer and raise the top of the walls, how do I get the walls to show on the second floor plan so I can add an open to below?

Thanks for the input.

Guest Wes Gardner

From time to time, I've even created a Class for "Model Only" walls or for "View Specific" walls and then drawn these walls with NO height so they'll look correct IN PLAN - you can even place windows and doors in these false walls. However, these must be tracked and Classed accordingly so they don't show up and "double count" in a door or window schedule.

Flexible, intuitive...

Wes

• 2 weeks later...
From time to time, I've even created a Class for "Model Only" walls or for "View Specific" walls and then drawn these walls with NO height so they'll look correct IN PLAN - you can even place windows and doors in these false walls. However, these must be tracked and Classed accordingly so they don't show up and "double count" in a door or window schedule.

Flexible, intuitive...

Wes

Creating two walls to represent one is not intuitive. As you indicate double window in same place is a drawing management pain. If you make a change to one you have to update both...

Two possible approaches:

1) Model the double height wall as at it's full height on Floor 1 Layer

Model the Floor 2 Slab

View Floor 2 Layer, Floor 2 Slab Layer & Floor 1 layer

(extra classing needed to turn off unwanted Floor 1 objects. VW doesn't have horizontal Viewport sections yet and I don't think there's a way to define the cut plane of a Plan View)

2) (preferred) Create 2 Floor 1 Layers at DeltaZ and 2x DeltaZ

Draw the double height wall on 2x DeltaZ only. View this layer when working & viewing both Floor1 & Floor2 layers. With Unified View & Layer Options>Show,Snap,Modify Others the walls will interact with each other.

Edited by bcd
...2) (preferred) Create 2 Floor 1 Layers at DeltaZ and 2x DeltaZ

Draw the double height wall on 2x DeltaZ only. View this layer when working & viewing both Floor1 & Floor2 layers. With Unified View & Layer Options>Show,Snap,Modify Others the walls will interact with each other.

That's the way I would do it. The only thing that you'll need to consider will be how to show windows & window numbers on each plan.