Disappearing Symbols

willofmaine

Hello,

Symbols have been disappearing on me. After created, at some point they disappear from both the drawing and the resource browser. They don't even leave behind a loci, as symbols do when intentionally deleted from the resource browser. When attempting to re-import the symbol from another file, it says that the symbol's name is in use by another object (first a group, now a line...).

The first time it happened, I went back to an older pre-symbol file and started from scratch. When I closed and re-opened the file, the symbol had disappeared again!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Will

Could this be a class visibility issue? It does not sound like it due to them disappearing from the RB.

Is it just one file or multiple files?

If it is just one, then it is probably a corrupted file. Get in touch with NNA tech support and send them the file. They may be able to help you fix the corruption.

The other option is to create a new file by either referencing and breaking the reference or copy/paste layer by layer. In either case you will need to recreate all of your viewports manually.

Thanks for the responses.

So far, it's been two entirely different, recently created symbols.

I don't think it's a class visibility issue, like you say because of the RB, and also these are in classes that I rarely if ever turn off.

It's one project, but different files because I'm continuously duplicating and advancing them (numerical file names) as the project evolves. The first time when I noticed this problem, I went back about three files, before I'd ever even made the offending symbol. I then updated that older file by re-doing all the work, including re-creating the symbol, that I'd done in the subsequent files (which files I then abandoned). Yet after all that, the new symbol, using the original name, disappeared again. I have since re-created it with a new name.

Creating a new file is kinda problematic: I've got over 60 sheets and a few hundred viewports; the file is 160+ MB.

What and where is the "name list"? I'm sure it would take forever, if it's even possible, to upload 160 MB...

Will,

* "save as" your file to any name.

* create a new layer

* place an instance of the symbol in this new layer

* delete all other layers (both sheet and design)

* don't purge

Most likely I cannot reproduce the disappearance because of many missing conditions, but I'd like to look at the file nevertheless.

Please upload it here.

orso

I seem to recall reading that Vectorworks never does cleanup on the name list:

http://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php?title=VS:NameList

If true and you are "evolving" files, then the name list could get really relly big.

You might try copying and pasting to a new drawing.

I wonder if using it as a template would clean up the list.

Edit:

I see from the annotated function list that the name list issue was raised by Orso

http://scs-inc.us/Other/VSFR/

Edited by brudgers

Not quite true, but close. (No cigar.)

Most names in most situations are released when no longer used. The most notable exeption is the ?record name? of a PIO or command that uses a record: those remain in the document unless explicitly deleted (eg. purged.)

Also, there are two distinct name lists: layer names and all other names. Layers, being explicit lists of objects (primary containers), behave differently from tags.

And then for us Gurus and Pundits, there are both issues and opportunities in our scripts, totally beyond reach of you mere mortals.