Hybrid object creation

grant_PD

Question

It's been mentioned before, I believe by Islandmon. Hybrid symbol creation is a real pain. Why can't Vectorworks automatically create a hybrid symbol from a 3d one? It could start with a hidden line/dashed line render, and let the user modify as needed.

My reason for this is just lately, I did an intricate floor pattern out of curves and arcs and polylines. These shapes were all extruded to make a 3d model. After several unsuccessful prints (the 3d portions print super-jaggy, no matter what the resolution was), I had to go back into each shape and pull the 2D shape from the extrude, overlay onto each shape, convert the whole thing to a symbol. Vectorworks already KNOWS these shapes exist, and is using them to create the extrude. I should have been able to select all of them, create a symbol, and have VW put all of the 2d shapes in the 2d container of the symbol.

9 answers to this question

Yes, that would be the case. Ideally, in creating a symbol, I'd like to see the following options added:

The ability to create/import a class from within the symbol creation dialogue

The ability to create a 2d portion of the symbol, from a Hidden Line or other render mode, OR to pull the 2D components used to make the 3d objects and leave them in the 2D container. (I realize the last option might have some difficulty in implementation, since objects are often created from subtractions and additions. In that case, I would only supply the portion being subtracted from, not the subtractor).

The ability to set the alignment of the symbol inside it's container to the world coordinates. I've mentioned this before, but I still think it bears repeating.

Grant

Maybe like the loft objects tool with nurbs, we need the option to keep the 2D geometry of an extrude - outside the extrude. You would then have both the initial geometry and the extrusion ready to become a hybrid symbol. Not a solution for every case, but it might have helped with your floor.

The problem with using a hidden line view - convert copy to lines approach is that it can often give you a 2D portion with thousands of tiny lines. Especially with the kind of curves you're talking about. This increases the symbol size and slows down redraws.

I'm sure you've already tried this, but sometimes I've found that when printing 3D images, setting the 3D conversion res to very high, the printing dpi to 150-300, and the smoothing angle between 10? to 30? helps...

michaelk

Yes, I've done that in places: kept the 2d portion as it's OWN symbol, one that converts to a group. Then made the 3D portion. THEN integrated.

the hidden line view is essentially a bitmap, so in using the 2d polygon geometry I think everyone is better served.

I like your idea of keeping the geometry around.

As mentioned ad infinitum : )

my workflow makes heavy use of Hybrid Symbols. When creating a 3d Symbol ( which is 99% of the time ), I usually duplicate the 2d parts prior to creation.

Then each time an object is added in 3d, the 2d parts are available in the Hybrid. This works exceptionally well and avoids the loss of essential context, polylines & arcs ( especially beneficial when show/hide Classes are employed ) . The 2d part of the Hybrid can be edited later , as req'd.

The option to automate the process will allow Users to more readily explore the opportunities of Hybrids and possibly encourage

a more 'Symbol centric' workflow

right out-of-the-box.

One thing that VW does exceptionally well is provide the powerful advantages of Symbols.

Anything NNA can do to augment the process is encouraged ...

I think VW should be smarter, regarding to hybrids. When you create an hybrid symbol VW should calculate (automatically) the display for the 2d part (this must be dynamic), including the cut section of the object, and the projection (dashed) over the section plane. Something like this:

Create Symbol---> Name ---> How you want it to look in Plan View ---> Select Insertion point.

Sorry for my english.

Anything that improves Symbols by giving more options at creation. i would like a 3D/Hybrid option, so that if, as sometimes happens a 2D objects gets left behind, it can be treated as a "Pure" 3D object, to save hunting around for the elusive 2D part, that can be sometimes hidden god knows how deep. Just at the flick of a switch.