Sequential numbering in a symbol with an attached record format?

I'm making a simple symbol (a label used to identify trees on a site) with an attached record format (species, trunk diameter, retained/removed, etc.). Each tree will be identified by a unique key number, and while I could enter it manually as a separate record field, I'd like to find a way to have this happen automatically (would make it easier to avoid duplicates, for instance). So in theory, if I deleted a symbol or added another, they'd be renumbered automatically. Is this anything that can be done without some fancy vectorscripting?

That's what I'm doing right now, and I've actually done the same thing for my title blocks -- it does make it a lot easier to make sure that the sheet information is correct when you see it all together in one worksheet. But is there a way to let VW simply number the symbol instances automatically and to access that number in such a way as to be able to display it?

The detail bubble isn't part of the Architect package, is it? I've looked through my entire Dims/Notes tool set and haven't found it.

I wonder whether the ID Label could be used in a similar manner? It looks like I can only choose between a Door, Window, and Equipment ID, and to be honest, I haven't quite figured out how the thing is supposed to work. After all, it looks like you can only attach an ID to an object that already has a record format attached (per the manual: "...can be applied to specific objects with attached data records..."), but then the ID itself also has a record format with a bunch of fields -- which info is supposed to go where, and why the redundancy?

Edited by markuskolb
The detail bubble isn't part of the Architect package, is it? I've looked through my entire Dims/Notes tool set and haven't found it.

I wonder whether the ID Label could be used in a similar manner? It looks like I can only choose between a Door, Window, and Equipment ID, and to be honest, I haven't quite figured out how the thing is supposed to work. After all, it looks like you can only attach an ID to an object that already has a record format attached (per the manual: "...can be applied to specific objects with attached data records..."), but then the ID itself also has a record format with a bunch of fields -- which info is supposed to go where, and why the redundancy?

The detail bubble is part of the generic "reference marker" tool in the Dim/Notes tool set. The graphic shows it as an elevation marker but this can be changed by using preferences in the Mode Bar or via the OIP after insertion.

Hmm, as far as I can tell, the Reference Marker doesn't do automatic sequential numbering, does it? In any event, the documentation sure makes it sound like the ID Label would fit the bill:

The ID Label tool labels drawing objects with an identifier so they can be properly referenced on an associated schedule. -- exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

I guess I just need to figure out how to make it work -- I just haven't had the time to tackle the learning curve. Looks like I'll need to study up on creating Custom ID Labels, Tag Schema Records, and what not. At first glance, anyway, it seems like it won't exactly be intiuitive. Has anyone else done this?

• 5 years later...

Depending on your time and vs knowledge the easy way is to write a script that does the numbering. downside is that you need to run the script.

If you have some more time and it's only needed on symbols you should create a custom object that places a symbol in the drawing. the object can automatically take care of the numbering, no scripts needed = less errors.