Fascia Not Flush With Rafters

I'm using VW2008 and have a simple shed roof with framing-rafters:

2x10 cross-section

20-deg pitch

12' span

5.5" bearing inset

3' overhang

square eave

To make a fascia board I draw a 2x8, extrude it and rotate it 20-degs to fit the fascia in 3D. From the side it looks flush, but when I switch to Top/Plan view it isn't touching the rafter-tails anymore, and moving it to do so screws it up in side-view.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, you have all been very helpful

Aaron

change to a side view of your rafters. Draw a 2d rectangle which has one edge coincident with the rafter ends. Extrude. Now you have facia at correct rotation. Unfortunately, one end will be on the working plane. You may have to move it (say in top view) with the 2d select tool and snap it to the rafter end.

OR

Execute 3d drag snaps in a view where the pick point and target point do not overlay any other points (isometric view, for instance, or just skewed a bit with the flyover). Zooming way in is also advised. VW does not "know" which of the stacked points are the user's intended snaps.

-B

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the first option provided is basically what I did. I drew a 2x8 in a side-view, rotated it to be flush/coincident and extruded it. My problem is that the extrude seems to be placed correctly (in side-view, and 3d-view), but in top-plan-view the rafters seem to only be drawn to the bottom edge of the square eave cut, leaving a gap.

original.jpg

This does seem screwy. I can't help much but I do also notice that the line representing the bottom corner of the rafter tail is missing in the top plan view. I assume that the view is in wire frame as the bottom corners (edges) of the fascia do show.

I did a quick test and if I switch to Top view, it appears correctly in both wireframe and hidden line. But in Top/Plan view the square eave rafters 'detach' from the fascia, the same as yours.

I think the bug is that the framing members display only as vertical eaves in Top/Plan -vs- Top. It doesn't matter if you choose square eaves, it only shows vertical eaves. You should submit a bug.

Tim