Roof Too Complex!!

cwailes

Ok, I know we aren't really supposed to ask how to do something completely but I need help. I have a very complex roof and I have no idea where to start or even how to begin. I have attached the basic out line of the area to be roofed as well as the floor plan. How do I proceed/start? I know that I should probably do this roof using roof faces, just not sure how to start or where to start. Can someone please help?

Edited by ccw

Try splitting it up into 2 or 3 logical areas. Trace each area and then try the Create Roof command again. After you have basically what you want you can clean up the intersecting portions by ungrouping each roof object into its various roof faces. Make sure to save (or save-as) often, then way you can always go back to a previous state.

I would follow Peter's advice, but start with a simple 2D plan sketch of what you imagine it to look like.

I would print your plan out and do this sketch w/ pencil on trace.

You know, like where are there ridges, hips, valleys, & general direction and magnitude of pitch.

I work this way a lot with VW (going between tracing over a print-out and computer drafting)

since it is a hell of a lot easier to model something if you know what it is at least kind-of supposed to look like first.

gmm 18: you're absolutely right. You gotta either be able to see it in your head, or draw it on paper BEFORE trying to model it in the computer. After all, we need to remember that the computer (and software) is just a tool. Some have called it the "$2,000. Pencil"... Maybe even more. Like 5000?

Another bit of advice is not to completely design in plan without taking the roof into consideration. Sometimes your roof will be the guiding element. Please, let us know how it develops!

par?ti [pahr-tee, pahr-tee]

?noun Architecture.

the basic scheme or concept of an architectural design.

Ok, I know we aren't really supposed to ask how to do something completely but I need help. I have a very complex roof and I have no idea where to start or even how to begin. I have attached the basic out line of the area to be roofed as well as the floor plan. How do I proceed/start? I know that I should probably do this roof using roof faces, just not sure how to start or where to start. Can someone please help?

An easy way to do this is to make a polygon of the outer roof shape, and let the Create Roof command do the rest. A neat trick I learned from ArchonCad is to use the 2D reshape tool to move or delete roof vertices. This will keep the smart roof functions intact - I would avoid ungrouping it.

If the roof does not have one continuous bearing height, then use separate polygons.