Door Glazing

visard

Once again I'm looking at the problem of defining glazing in a door and asking myself why doors don't work like windows. Window glazing is easily set within the object info box after a 'style-glazing' has been defined. After wrestling with this for years I find myself asking - Why can't we do this with a door?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For instance, why are door sizes not structural opening sizes rather than leaf sizes and windows the reverse?

It's a fair question. The answer is that this is the convention in the US. Unit sizes (outside of frame) is how windows are "specked" and clear opening sizes are how doors are. Please submit a wish to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net regarding this.

Once again I'm looking at the problem of defining glazing in a door and asking myself why doors don't work like windows. Window glazing is easily set within the object info box after a 'style-glazing' has been defined. After wrestling with this for years I find myself asking - Why can't we do this with a door?

These are the steps I use to define a glazing on the door. Please let me know if this helps.

1. Open the Door Settings Dialog Box.

2. Select the Parts tab.

3. Select Part: Leaf and Leaf Type: Glass.

4. Select the View Tab.

5. In Special Classes Select Part: Int. Panels and Class: Style-Glazing 1. Then Select Part: Ext. Panels and Class: Style-Glazing 1 again.

6. Select Ok.

7. Go to Tools -> Organization.

8. On the Classes Tab Select the Class Name Style-Glazing 1.

9. Click on the Edit button.

10. At the three tabs in the bottom half of the window Select the Other Tab.

11. Click the box next to Texture so there is a check mark in the box. ( There should also be a check mark in Use Textures at Creation by default. If there isn't one there put a check mark there too. )

12. Click on the arrow in the Drop Down box which contains the Asphalt Small texture by default. ( You can click anywhere in that box but I click on the arrow. )

13. Choose the Glass Blue 2 Texture.

14. Click the Ok button in the Edit Classes Dialog and then the Ok button in the Organization Dialog Box.

After you click Ok in the Organization Dialog Box the door should refresh and the glazing of the leaf should appear with the Glass Blue Texture.

Please let me know if that solves your problem or you were talking about something else. I can also provide screenshots if you would like. This also is only for VW2008. In 12.5 when you click on the Edit button in the Organization Dialog Box the Texture is a drop down box with names of the different glazings. Find the Glass Blue Glazing, otherwise it should work the same.

Didn't work for me. Organization shows Y in final use texture column. Detail edit as per your scheme. Use at creation is checked for all attribs. (This is for a glazed double bi-fold in imitation of NanaWall door.)

VP refreshed without change. Changing fill to none and back worked so something is working.

Didn't work for me. Organization shows Y in final use texture column. Detail edit as per your scheme. Use at creation is checked for all attribs. (This is for a glazed double bi-fold in imitation of NanaWall door.)

VP refreshed without change. Changing fill to none and back worked so something is working.

You're right. It didn't work for me either. The directions I posted above explain how to get the glazing working in VectorWorks 2008 using a Door Configuration of Swing Simple with a Leaf Type of Glass. I assumed it would work similarly in 12.5 but I tried a Door Configuration of Bi-Fold Bi-Part with a Leaf Type of Glass in 12.5 and I'm not getting the same problem you are getting. Here's the steps I took for 12.5.2 that I'm using.

1. Open the Door Settings Dialog Box.

2. On the General Tab, change the Configuration to Bi-Fold Bi-Part

3. Select the Parts tab.

4. Select Part: Leaf and Leaf Type: Glass.

5. Select the View Tab.

6. In Special Classes Select Part: Int. Panels and Class: Style-Glazing 1. Then Select Part: Ext. Panels and Class: Style-Glazing 1 again. (*NOTE - Be careful not to accidentally select the dashed line "-----" between Style 15 and Style-Glazing 1. I did that, and that side of the door did not show the blue glass. After I changed that to Style-Glazing 1 the blue glass showed up.)

7. Select Ok.

8. Go to Tools -> Organization.

9. On the Classes Tab Select the Class Name Style-Glazing 1.

10. Click on the Edit button.

*This part looks different than VectorWorks 2008*

11. On the right half of the Edit Class Dialog box there should be three tabs: Walls, Roof, and Other. Select the Other Tab if it is not enabled by default.

12. Below the word "Texture:" there should be a drop down box. Click on the drop down box and select the name Glass Blue 2. The preview box next to "Texture:" and the drop down box should update with an image of a gray square, a light blue square, and another gray square. ( There should also be a check mark in Use Textures at Creation by default. If there isn't one there put a check mark there too. )

13. Click the Ok button in the Edit Classes Dialog and then the Ok button in the Organization Dialog Box.

I'm don't know a lot about ViewPorts and why it would not be updating in the ViewPort. I believe that in 2008 it was changed that the ViewPorts will updated now when you make a change in the drawing, but in 12.5 you need to manually update all ViewPorts. I will check into that and get back to you.

The 'Y' you mentioned that you see in the Use Texture Column is also in VectorWorks 2008. The Use column in the Organization Dialog Box is actually called the "Use Class Attributes" Column. What that means is that if a 'Y' appears there, objects created in that class or assigned to that class will use those class's attributes. The "Use Textures at Creation" check mark I was referring to was the one in the Edit Class Dialog box. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. Both the Organization Dialog and the "Use Textures at Creation" should be the same in 2008 and 12.5. The Edit Class Dialog box does look different in 2008 though.

I checked with someone and the ViewPort should automatically update if you change something with the door in the design layer, unless the door is rendered. If the door is rendered it would say that it needs to be rerendered though.