VW 13.0 stability and bugs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding the Mac version OK. I have had one unexplained crash but used the program most of the day yesterday without any problems. I've only been using '08 for a couple of days now and have only been using VW for a couple of weeks so I don't feel like I have a complete picture of performance yet but so far so good.

I'm having a number of crashes working from VW 10 files and trying to export back. I also had a number of crashes when I changed settings initially when I installed it. My main concern is exporting to VW 10 for the mean time until a consultant upgrades. It may be connected with Wall Types?

I must look elsewhere in the forum. New to it.

VW Architect 2008 Dongle Version on 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.4.10 with latest updates.

Christian,

I am on Windows and used 2008 today for an hour. In the middle of a large project with serious 'we require by dates' so just had a feel of it for awhile and was very impressed. I found it to be slower than 12.5 but smoother in a sense, a little more intuitive - just easier to use.

Apparently there are still some bugs to sort out but even given that I feel really comfortable moving forward.

Sorry I am not on a Mac

I am unable to continue working on VW 2008. It keeps on crashing when I attempt to save. Sometimes when it crashes it gives a message, "Failure on attempt to get end of file."

Unfortunately I have to switch back to 12.5.

Siva.

VW Architect/Renderworks

Mac OSX 10.4.10, 2.16 GHz. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram.

Db40 -

Can you send a sample file that is crashing? When you send the file, please outline the exact steps you are taking and where the crash occurs, as well as the error message.

Also be sure to include OS spec info.

Katie,

Thanks for your response.

The question you asked, " Are you saving to the local computer or a network?" clicked on my mind. I was saving to a network Windows Server 2003. Now I am saving to my local computer. So far okay. I will keep you informed. Thanks.

Siva.

VW Architect/Renderworks

Mac OSX 10.4.10, 2.16 GHz. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram

We use Macs, but we never upgrade until at least the first point release and more typically not until the .5 release. Why would anyone rush to upgrade? 12.5.x is relatively stable and usable whereas every new release is always buggy, no matter how carefully tested. Nothing like having 10,000 users kick your new code around to expose the bugs. As much as I'd like to be the first kid on the block with new sneakers, our time is precious and waiting a few weeks/months/years costs little. Post your question again in 9 months and I may have an answer for you.

Katie - I've only had one crash and can't say enough about the circumstances to be of any use.

Christian & Kaite - Used it all day long (and part of the night) yesterday and all seems pretty good. It does feel a little bit slow at times - I will occasionally have to wait for a menu to load or I'll get the blasted Mac beach ball. By the end of the day (after 8 hours of use) my machine did experience a slow down but I don't know if it was VW - I had lots of applications open and I'm running out of disk space (down to 3G, need to upgrade soon).

I'm going to be on it all day again today, I'll let you all know if I have any problems.

VW2008-Designer

Macbook-1.83, OS X 10.3.9, 2G RAM

Beta version in use here for some 10 days.

Has been absolutely reliable - even in a trade show demo situation (two days so far, one more to go) - without a single crash.

All files used/shown from earlier versions. Testing & demos have included extensive use of plug-ins by yours truly, last used in VW 12, but many unchanged since VW 9.

This must be, reliabilitywise, the best zero version of MC/VW ever! Just go'n'get it! Plan Rotation alone is worth every ? (or US peso or whatever) you pay.

Ever? Well, actually, I can't vouch for that. My first version was MiniCAD 3.15 - users of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 may have a different view.

Hi Christiaan - we've received our first batch of 2008 licences here in Nottingham (on the day I left for two weeks paternity leave, of all days...but I had an hour playing with it before I left).

Initial impressions - slicker and more professional feel:

Selection Highlight is the most obvious change when you open up - and it's good. No more overlapping grips. There's also a new stretch-object toggle that's related to the highlighting - you still get the grips with a single object selected and can stretch, or not, depending on the toggle.

View Rotate seems to be well implemented and is even sort of animated (on a mac at least). I need to check out how it deals with the origin, and origin of hatches etc when in rotated view, but I didn't get a chance [user origin generally is one of those long-standing bugbears I kept forgetting to put on the wishlist, as hatches would never follow the new origin and there was never a command to return to original origin].

Wall Component Classing is also nicely done - not too many sub-windows to get to. Again, I haven't checked out using it with viewport overrides yet. The pain for me is that I'd just completed a massive set of standard wall-types for the office...and now I've got to do them again (I'm not complaining though, as wall classes are long overdue).

Something I didn't see in the promo stuff is something really useful for newbs - when you're editing a group or a symbol the screen now changes and you get a coloured border around the window and a more prominent EXIT button.

I'm having trouble getting used to the heads-up coordinate entry (I do like it, just haven't mastered it yet). I haven't found out yet how to enter X and Y coordinates instead of length and angle (it's probably really obvious).

Obvious disappointments:

Really basic View Toggles are STILL NOT in the workspace: Edit Groups in Place, and View Lineweights are still hidden away in the Preferences. These should have been added to that nice new View toolbar at the top of the screen. For heaven's sake NNA, these are not SETTINGS, they are TOGGLES. You toggle them on and off all the time - please move them to front of house. (Yes I know how to add them to the workspace myself...but it's clumsy, and why should I have to)

That's all I got chance to look at really - looking forward to having a good rummage though. Might have to bring my dongle home...

Thanks Chris.

Really basic View Toggles are STILL NOT in the workspace: Edit Groups in Place, and View Lineweights are still hidden away in the Preferences. These should have been added to that nice new View toolbar at the top of the screen. For heaven's sake NNA, these are not SETTINGS, they are TOGGLES. You toggle them on and off all the time - please move them to front of house. (Yes I know how to add them to the workspace myself...but it's clumsy, and why should I have to)

Yup, huge oversight if you ask me, especially when you consider this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=74586

Thankfully they're easy to add to the contextual menu. but they really should be far easier to access by default.