Forum: ability to rate own topics

Christiaan

Question

13 answers to this question

So how would this rating system work? Everyone rating their own topic most important?

I would think that the number of replys and views already adequately demonstrates overall board interest.

What am I missing here?

You're only missing something if you're lacking imagination.

With a enough people the system is quite useful for canvassing the quality of an idea (i.e. a Wishlist item), which is different from thread popularity (a thread could be popular because it's controversial, but that doesn't mean everybody rates the idea highly).

To see an example of this system being used to its full potential see WordPress's implementation:

http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/

They implement the most popular features each update cycle too.

Yes, Christiaan I see your point as it would relate to wishlist items.

And perhaps in a more limited way to the forum in general. And I suppose it wouldn't HURT to impliment it so I am basically ok with it.

It just seems the good folks at NNA are capable of gleaning the best and most implimentable ideas one way or the other with or without ratings.

By the way, thanks for all of your valuable input to this forum. Being a relative novice, I have appreciated your experienced, well reasoned and well articulated entries.

Rating your own topic is not possible with this version.

The theory behind it is, if you took the time to create a post, you are probably going to rate your post pretty high, if not the highest level. It's automatically assumed, in your eyes, the importance of the topic.

Now, if the goal is to convince other people to rate your topic, you might want to add a tag to your signature asking people to rate your topic, kinda like how people ask for feedback on eBay bids.

I just checked with the developers of UBB and they confirmed that this is indeed the case (one called it a bug that you could previously rate your own topics). Which seems stupid to me. Why not offer the option in the configuration preferences? Who are the UBB forum developers to tell their users they can't have this option. All a bit paternalistic if you ask me.

If I had my way you could rate your own topics. Ratings would be clearly visible for each topic, in all the different forum views. And ratings would only be turned on for the Wishlist forum.

Actually, if I had it my way, I'd just change to a decent forum software package:

http://bbpress.org/

Give me access to your server and I'll set it up myself! :)

Christiaan,

We don't make the software for the forum. I think your thoughts are more appropriate for them to read than for viewers of this board.

Posting it here isn't going to fix the situation.

The topic voting has been entered as a bug on their end.