building a raked stage / hybrid objects

lx-88

I'm trying to build a raked stage for my VW file but I can't figure out how to rotate a hybrid object.

I want the top part of this set of platforms to be 1.43' higher then the bottom part. meaning that the whole mess of 3' x 8' platforms will be raked. They are hybrid objects and I would love to keep them that way, but I can't figure out how to rotate them to the desired angle.

file: VW file

Thanks for your help

[ 09-27-2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: lx-88 ]

You're taking your standard 4x8's symbol and trying to make a raked stage out of them? I think you're out of luck. You could make a new version of your deck symbol at the correct pitch and then array those.

You might also check out, although I can't remember if this works....Set a new working plane to the pitch that you want, and lay in your decks that way.

lx-88 You can't rotate hybrid symbols.

What you will need to do is create the 3D portion of your hybrid symbol so that it is at the raking angle you require. Either:

- Rotate the extrude whilst in an elevation view. (The disadvantage of this method are the ends will be angled and it will be more tricky getting the 2D and 3D views coincident.)

- Create the 3D extrude in an elevation view using Multiple Extrude with the two rectangles offset vertically by the required rise amount. (The advantage of this method is the ends will be vertical.)

[ 09-28-2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

quote:

Originally posted by klinzey:

This may seam odd, but create the stage as a roof face. It will automatically be a hybrid object and it will have pitch control and vertical sides.

I tried this, but It didn't build the roof. It just kept my 2d polygon that I based the roof off of. Any ideas?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Check the instructions on how to create a roof face. There are two more steps that need to be done AFTER the dialog closes.

1)Draw a line to indicate the Roof axis,

2)click to indicate the direction of the slope.

The prompts appear in the mode bar, telling you what you need to do.

Kevin's suggestion is a good one.

- Draw the Polygon

- Select Roof Face from the AEC menu

- Complete the dialogue box which opens with the required parameters and then click OK

- Draw the axis (or pivot) line and then click on the side which is to point up.

You can either draw the stage as one whole piece or alternatively make it up from individual 3' x 8' sections. If you do the latter you will have to raise each section individually so that they form a planar surface.