Custom Window Options completely broken

I'm trying to create a very simple Chicago style window, 3046 fixed between 2046 double hungs. I know there are some bugs with this window tool (rendering, not filling in areas etc...) but inputting data to custom sash options absolutely will not take. I have tried creating new window, editing existing window, creating window symbol then editing-either the multiple windows freak out the overall size or it seems to take all the data in the window dialogue box and then completely ignores all editing in the actual file.

Is there something I am missing or is this part of the buggy (unusable?!) window tool?

I know I could manually place three windows but the trim/mullions overlap, and isn't this tool supposed to solve that issue?

Thanks for any help.

Damon, the tool works for me (although it took some getting used to). 1) Start with a plain window with the overall dimensions you want. 2) Change the type to "custom" 3) open the settings dialog then click on "custom sash options". 4) Change the columns to three [3]; 5) Set the width/type of the first column , it'll be highlighted in red THEN LOCK the SASH CONFIG.; 6) go to the last column and repeat what you just did for the first. Don't fotget to LOCK it. HTH's

Peter, I was all excited about the locking sash config-(hadn't used it-duh!) BUT! I'm trying that and after inputting overall size of 7846 (giving some room for 4" mullions)-custom options-1 Row, 3 Columns- First window: 2046 DH locked-last window same locked-and then something freaks and the 3 windows are only allowed to fill in half of the overall window size-leaving a 0446 center fixed!? The locked first window turns into a 7846- or some other pattern of the three windows partially filling in the overall size?! The whole thing looks wacky and I'm trying to lock or unlock the rows-tweaking it here and there. Regardless -whatever data I have entered that seemed to create this wacky window is nonetheless completely ignored when actually put in the file- it becomes a 2640 DH -apparently the only window VW has decided I will ever need

Is there some pattern in locking the custom windows that might alleviate this?

Or starting out with a existing window or window symbol?

Thanks much for the reply. It sounds so simple but -and it could be completely me- but I'm trying- I tell you!

Somehow, whatever I enter as the second sash configuration -whether that is the fixed center, or I skip over to the last DH, and irregardless of locking status-that data input will instantly change how the three rows fill in the overall size-that is they cannot expand to fill in the overall size.

OK now I am locking the center fixed and then adding the two DHs unlocked (or all three locked)- It takes- then inputting parts: mullions, sill, and trim- it takes- Yay! then hit OK to get out of Window dialogue box and.... I get a 7846 fixed window no trim or sill WTF?!

Jonathan, Thanks for the reply and the advice and offer of help- unfortunately I cannot e-mail you the window that doesn't take. I am doing exactly as you advise and after inputting the first 2046 DH into the overall 7846 size (locking or unlocking-doesn't matter), the second window inputting of the width, regardless of whether that is the center fixed or the last DH will wack out the windows how the are able to fill in the overall size- they wont. And then if I accept the wacked out window it will just input as a 2640 DH.

I will try to send a saved file with the window dialogue box still open-if that works?

Edit: Obviously can't save with dialogue box open

Sent the file with the resulting 7846 fixed window

Thanks for the help

Meanwhile I have created a symbol of three attached windows to the configuration I need. - looks fine but.... I want a free copy of windoor! ( I have the trial version- seems great) Since my windows don't work

Tad

• 3 weeks later...

Damon,

I have to agree.. I opened a new blank file, drew a wall, inserted a window, and tried to make it a custom as you stated..... crashes every time..... makes an interesting variety of end products, different every time..

Whats up, I dont know..

I bug submitted this 6 months ago with no response... maybe they think it works? who knows... I will bug submit it again.

Dont know a number....

I just sent an email with the following

Hello all,

I submitted this a while ago and finally bought OZcad to fix the problem until you did.... never heard a response.

I open a new blank file, drew a wall, inserted a window, and tried to make it a custom triple sash, 2046 sh, 3046 fixed, 2046 single hung.....

start with an 88" opening...go to custom sash options, select three columns, set and lock the first at 24" wide, set the third at 24" wide... the window goes haywire..... crashes every time..... makes an interesting variety of end products, different every time.

Best Luck

Michael Eschenbach

785 N. Spend-a-buck Dr.

Inverness, Fl., 34453

Hm,Fx,Office; 352-344-5571

The mullion widths and depths can be controlled prior to going custom, in the window setting file...Under Parts, Mullions and Sash. You can adjust them there, and then set your regular custom standards in the sash operation,'custom', 'custom options'.

Something else.... when I took a basic 4040 window, that was stand alone and not inserted in a wall, and I went through the making of a custom window as described previously, it worked perfectly.... when I took that same basic window and inserted it into a wall and attempted to make it custom, it crashed every time...... I will bugsubmit this

Thanks Michael, that is so cool! Would have never even thought to mod the mullions prior to using custom sashs. In fact could never figure out what that window part did.

Tool doesn't work like I would want it to. No line wt control through view tab, adds mullion without jamb or shim, doesn't add trim over mull.

VWA needs to differentiate btwn ganged windows (jamb fastened to jamb at factory) grouped windows (separate windows with framing element(s) btwn--often designed as a "whole" i.e. arched transoms, and custome windows structural mullion designed into window frame (like what setting mullion and custom sashes does now).

Of these, the latter is the least used, the first is common and can be achieved with work arounds, the second is common (for me) and can't be done to my satisfaction. Although I think I can work around this now by adding jamb width and shim space and figuring that into the Mullion width (then show the framing member and add 2d lines/polgons for line wt.)

Thanks for the tip, please comment on anything you can add.

cheers, mmm