What's a Simple Way to Lighten Up Ceilings in Shaded Render?

We use Shaded render for a lot of our work. When we present interior spaces the ceilings always appear too dark. I assume that Shaded (like Open GL) can support up to eight light sources. What's a simple way to use Shaded, but get the ceilings brighter, and evenly illuminated?

Thanks,

Ed

1 hour ago, Ed Wachter said:

We use Shaded render for a lot of our work. When we present interior spaces the ceilings always appear too dark. I assume that Shaded (like Open GL) can support up to eight light sources. What's a simple way to use Shaded, but get the ceilings brighter, and evenly illuminated?

Thanks,

Ed

Give your ceilings a texture that has "reflectivity" set to glow with a low brightness value and set to "emit".

It's a similar trick we use to make plants, signs, and anything that needs to be a little more visible in the dark.  You just have to be very subtle with it.

Alternatively, if the ceilings aren't visible in a shot, just turn them off and it will be like a TV set 🙂.

Add lights in the space above to get the desired effect.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ed Wachter said:

Oh great! The ceiling that "glows" is what I was hoping for. I'll give that a try. I'll reply again after I do, but it might take me a few days to get to it.

Thanks,

Ed

If you are just doing shaded view renderings, Lighting Options might be a more effective solution.  Bump the Ambient Brightness for real time effects.

ScreenShot2024-05-08at19_36_27.thumb.png.9831971938c8d6cf86413342483a6ff2.png

Here are some examples of both Final Renderworks and Shaded using glowing ceilings with low intensity brightness:

Both the ceiling in the main space and the curved one in the back are "glowing"

ScreenShot2024-05-08at19_30_51.thumb.png.d6d94b215cfae41a2ab49d1bb5a9bf98.png

No glow Shaded

ScreenShot2024-05-08at19_32_08.thumb.png.4682ab9090f02e034c96dd4ff4644f70.png

Glow Shaded

ScreenShot2024-05-08at19_31_13.thumb.png.9f2183a24fbfe1b42aee37f0cf73eacc.png