Data tag for existing and proposed surface height

Hello, 

with stake objects there's the opportunity to tag either existing or proposed heights of the site model.

It would be great to know a method to tag both of them at the same time, and also the height difference. I was wondering if I could get somehow the x and y coordinates of 2D loci or any other objects, then get the Z coordinate of that X and Y from the site model, both existing and proposed. 

Maybe is it possible with some reporting features and create a worksheet?

And at the end create  a datatag  to put all de data on the drawing?

I hope I could express myself clearly.

Thank you for any idea!

• Like 1

This would be a valuable built-in feature to have for people who field verify site staking, among other things.

Currently, I think the only way to achieve what you want is to script something to automate what would be a tedious process.

Hopefully someone with skills in that area will respond.

• Like 2

As @Jeff Prince mentioned, I think that scripting would get you exactly what you want....but it requires some expertise. @Pat Stanford might know if someone has already come up with something like this, but you can also search the scripting/marionette forum to see if you find anything.

Otherwise, you might get there by creating copies of the stake objects onto different layers, one each for existing and proposed.

• Like 2

Thank you! I was also thinking of copied stakes objects on different layers. But my hidden  target would be to  create a data visualisation, where "color-gradients" codes could show the  cut and fill quantity. I could rectangular array the loci, tag them, and the color them. But this would be probably only possible, if I could link both (existing and proposed) height data to one object. 

What about this:

1. place stake objects on existing dtm

2. place stake objects on the same points, on propsed dtm

3. create reports for both with X,Y,Z coordinates

4. export to xls, then match the right rows with same X and Y. So we'll get a worksheet with  X, Y, Z1, Z2

I can get till this point but unfortunatelly no further. 

But something like that?:

Importing  the worksheet itself or making a database from that. Then create a record format for the stake objects and match it with our database, so we get stakes with both Z1 and Z2 heights which we could tag, and make also data visualization. Theres a video on VWX university about this method, but It was quite complicated for me. 

Until you get a clever script - you can create two stake objects on top of one another, set one to read existing and one proposed, set one label position to right and one to left. Set each to different classes with different text styles to match your existing/proposed. Group the pair. Then you can copy and paste the group and get existing/proposed read out.

Not ideal as it doesn't deal with the height difference, and was hoping it would work as a symbol, but it doesn't...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured out this:

Stake objects to existing site- duplicated the layer  and changed  stake settings to proposed sites.

Created a record format for Z1 and Z2 height data for the stakes.

Created a report for both layers with stakes with x,y,z coordinates and Z1 Z2 records.

In the report of existing stakes copied the Z  column  to Z1 column. The Z column of the proposed report copied to Z2 column of existing report.

created a data tag for both Z values and height difference 

created a data visualisation

tried to upload the file but failed. maybe next time.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Zsombor said:

I figured out this:

Stake objects to existing site- duplicated the layer  and changed  stake settings to proposed sites.

Created a record format for Z1 and Z2 height data for the stakes.

Created a report for both layers with stakes with x,y,z coordinates and Z1 Z2 records.

In the report of existing stakes copied the Z  column  to Z1 column. The Z column of the proposed report copied to Z2 column of existing report.

created a data tag for both Z values and height difference 

created a data visualisation

tried to upload the file but failed. maybe next time.

Good routine. Definitely would be nice to share 😁 Developing these workflows often take some time to work out and can add good functionality.