Quiet Crash

mjm

Question

So twice now VWX 2024 has locked up - no sign of that except no part of the UI is responsive. This occurred when I tried to copy/paste two audio symbols from one '24 dwg to a fresh one. The app threw up a 'no data record for that symbol' after which clicking ok the whole thing froze.

And of course neither time did I save the new untitled document, so there's no autosave file to refer back to for work completed.

yay

8 answers to this question

I've been used VW since 2004, currently using v2018, VWs crashing behaviour was new to me (coming from ACAD) so I logged what I was doing for a few years (and versions) but there was no discernable pattern, although usually I was doing something minor beforehand like writing text, or a simple 2D boolean. It sems much more stable than a decade ago but still happens.

It would be nice if the code base was open so we could learn what is going on.

I set it to save a backup every minute.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 2/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, mjm said:

This occurred when I tried to copy/paste two audio symbols from one '24 dwg to a fresh one. The app threw up a 'no data record for that symbol' after which clicking ok the whole thing froze.

Could you share the 24 DWG file to try to replicate your issue? Thanks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JuanP said:

Could you share the 24 DWG file to try to replicate your issue? Thanks. 

Hello @JuanP—lol, it's been three days since my post and I have moved so far past that, but let me see if I can dig it up.

tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-to…

Welp, I found a backup which displays that same behavior, so after I force-quit VWX, restart the machine and re-open said file, deleting any NDA stuff I'll DM it to you.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/23/2024 at 2:25 PM, mjm said:

I tried to copy/paste two audio symbols from one '24 dwg to a fresh one

I've played with the file you sent to Juan. The speaker array itself might have issues that is causing VW to freeze. Do you know how the symbol was constructed? The copy/paste works as expected when I build a new one.
Do you have an original file in which the speaker array was assembled? 
Your array symbol is likely from a prior version of VW, and the data records are out of date. I recommend removing them and adding a fresh version using the array tool.

Thanks, Scott

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 hours ago, mjm said:

that speaker came directly from one of the built-in audio resource folders

I think the parts of the array may have come from the libraries, but the symbol is a collection of parts. It's the overall saved array symbol that is causing the copy/paste issue.

3 hours ago, Scott C. Parker said:

I think the parts of the array may have come from the libraries, but the symbol is a collection of parts. It's the overall saved array symbol that is causing the copy/paste issue.

Actually @Scott C. Parker, I think the offending item was the sub woofer. Can’t confirm currently.