Saved Views - classes turned off

Hi,

I have started using pre configured saved views in an attempt to streamline my workflow. The area of most value has been the setting up of which layers and classes I have visible.

What I have discovered is that during the process of drawing, any newly created classes are set to 'not visible' by default.

For example, when I choose a particular wall type not used before and classes are created, they are turned off in all the preset saved views.

Is there a way to set the default to have newly created classes 'visible'

Or am I going to have to create a new template file thaws these walls and other objects in them?

TIA

James Dawson

The way I deal with this, is that I rarely create a "new" class, instead duplicating & renaming an existing class which has similar visibilities as I want for the new one. This is hardly an ideal method and I still have to quite often edit saved views settings. If there's a better way of doing it I'd be interested to hear too.

Commonly when I make a new class I'll want it to appear in some saved views/viewports but not others, so simply being able to make new classes visible everywhere wouldn't solve the problem.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, James Dawson Design said:

Is there a way to set the default to have newly created classes 'visible'

Yes when you create a new class there is a 'saved view visibility for new class(es)' setting at the bottom of the 'New Class' dialog. This is set to invisible by default but if you set it to visible then objects created in that class will be visible when you activate existing saved views. However, this will only help where you're creating a new class from scratch rather than bringing one in from another file (i.e. when you bring a resource into a file) which I think is the scenario you're talking about... Like @line-weight I spend quite a lot of time editing the class (+ layer) visibilities of Saved Views in the lifetime of a file... but they are such an essential part of my workflow that it's time well invested...

• Like 2

Yes, Organization Palette in Visibility mode is a must from time to time.

I use it to check or correct my Class and Layer Visibilities for Saved Views

and Viewports.

Especially for DLVP References, where you have multiple VPs from a single file,

like divided by Stories and such. Or when you update the Reference with a new file.

E.g. you may select all to set all Class Visibilities at a time but selectively set

Layer Visibility for each individually.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tom W. said:

Yes when you create a new class there is a 'saved view visibility for new class(es)' setting at the bottom of the 'New Class' dialog. This is set to invisible by default but if you set it to visible then objects created in that class will be visible when you activate existing saved views. However, this will only help where you're creating a new class from scratch rather than bringing one in from another file (i.e. when you bring a resource into a file) which I think is the scenario you're talking about... Like @line-weight I spend quite a lot of time editing the class (+ layer) visibilities of Saved Views in the lifetime of a file... but they are such an essential part of my workflow that it's time well invested...

Thanks, so wont apply for automatically created classes , like when you import an architects drawing, or use a new wall type? I may have to take "line-weight" approach and manually make the change after the import of base drawing info.

Edited by James Dawson Design
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, James Dawson Design said:

Thanks, so wont apply for automatically created classes , like when you import an architects drawing, or use a new wall type? I may have to take "line-weight" approach and manually make the change after the import of base drawing info.

For any embedded classes created by symbols and PIOs that you use regularly, I suggest bringing them into your template file and get all of your visibilities set in saved views in advance. This way you can avoid tedious work while designing or drafting.  You can always purge later if you desire. 

On 3/13/2024 at 11:06 PM, James Dawson Design said:

The way I mostly update my Saved Views is using the 'Redefine' command which is accessed by right-clicking on the Saved View in the Navigation Palette. I do use the Organisation Palette in 'Visibilities' mode as well but less often: it feels like more clicks to get there + I prefer to have the view in front of me + see the impact of the visibility changes before saving them to the SV.

I think the worst thing for me is not being able to then utilise these visibility settings when creating Viewports on a Sheet Layer. 

12 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Are you aware of this script by @Jesse Cogswell?

I am, yes, and we've discussed this previously. I can't remember the precise details but for whatever reason I decided the way the script worked wasn't going to benefit me. What I tend to do is create my first VP from the Design Layer then create duplicates from that on the Sheet Layer. So the initial VP gets the benefit of the Saved View settings but the subsequent ones I have to adjust manually on the SL whereas what I really want to do is just tell it to take it's visibilities from an existing Saved View. I don't think Jesse's script allows this...? I seem to remember you kept a dedicated 'master viewport' sheet layer or something with the express purpose of transferring visibility attributes? Might have got that completely wrong... At any rate I definitely looked at the script a couple of times + on both occasions decided it wasn't for me. 

5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I am, yes, and we've discussed this previously. I can't remember the precise details but for whatever reason I decided the way the script worked wasn't going to benefit me. What I tend to do is create my first VP from the Design Layer then create duplicates from that on the Sheet Layer. So the initial VP gets the benefit of the Saved View settings but the subsequent ones I have to adjust manually on the SL whereas what I really want to do is just tell it to take it's visibilities from an existing Saved View. I don't think Jesse's script allows this...? I seem to remember you kept a dedicated 'master viewport' sheet layer or something with the express purpose of transferring visibility attributes? Might have got that completely wrong... At any rate I definitely looked at the script a couple of times + on both occasions decided it wasn't for me. 

You're probably right and have a better memory than I do.

It's a little while since I last worked on the project where I use that script extensively - I'd have to go and remind myself of the mechanics of it all.