2D & 3D HYBRID

Hi All,

What is the best way to draw in 2D details, (including interior elevations in 2D ) onto a cut section from a 3D model? Is putting the 2D linework on the annotation layer of the section viewport the only way to go?

TIA for all your recommendations!

VW 2023 

Interior Elevations: There's an Interior Elevation tool that can generate them for you.  It is the only Marker that needs to be placed on a Design Layer to work.  I find it quirky.

Details: My workflow is to draw them entirely in 2D on a Design Layer, and then create a Sheet Layer Viewport for each detail, which I can then link to a Detail Marker on the plan and section viewports.  

I'm sure other people have other/better ways to do this.

• Like 1

The Create Interior Elevation Viewport… command is a little quirky.  But I find that the juice is worth the squeeze.

It's way way faster to create interior elevations from a 3D model than it is to draw them in 2D from scratch or exploding a section viewport.  Especially if things change down the road.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, genie said:

What is the best way to draw in 2D details, (including interior elevations in 2D ) onto a cut section from a 3D model? Is putting the 2D linework on the annotation layer of the section viewport the only way to go

You could also create a flattened vertical section viewport on a Design Layer, drawing your 2D linework on top of the flattened section. Link to Vw2024 Help File page on Creating a Vertical Section Viewport

Personally, I typically put my 2D linework in a the annotations of a SL Section Viewport. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Personally, I typically put my 2D linework in a the annotations of a SL Section Viewport. 

Same here.

I don't bother with the VW "interior elevation" tool.

I just make a regular section. Crop out the bits that aren't needed for the internal elevations. Draw as much as possible in 3D and only add final touches in 2D. The more you draw in 3D, the more automatic updates can be in all viewports, if you change the design.

I'd not explode or flatten viewports because then you have to star again if you change anything in the model.

The main thing I'm not entirely happy with, using my current method for interior elevations, is that I have to crop them to funny shapes manually. And sometimes the edges of those crops can be a little messy.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

I'd not explode or flatten viewports because then you have to star again if you change anything in the model.

I think the idea is to do this as a starting point for details that I'd be drawing manually in 2D anyway.