Dimension markers / style ???

DSmith2300

Question

Sigh...

I do feel like such a moaning pain sometimes.

I've had this trouble before and found some unhappy work-around that I cannot remember.

There seems to be 100 dimension types in the OIP and none of them are what I want, and 90% of them are exactly the same. I'm sure this is some kind of accumulation of template garbage.

When I attempt to change the arrow size in the document settings-dimension standards - custom  ... NOTHING happens.

I've tried various other routes but nothing I do seems to change it apart from merely selecting another Dim Std., which isn't appropriate either.

I've made new standards, attempted to edit existing ones, closed and re-opened the document.  Nothing. Nada, Zip.

The dims are in the Dimension class, and drawn in the annotation layer in a VP.

Bug? Feature? PEBCAK?

Surely there must be an easier UI than whatever VW has now.

Why can't the OIP just have a simple "Marker Size" control!?!?!?!?!

Can I just state for the record that the dimension controls in VW are GARBAGE.

Since nothing else works I may have to find a style with no practically visible marker and literally draw a triangle to be 'the arrow' for my arc radii, to be the correct size.

Perhaps I might also just go back to drawing everything on tracing paper with pens and razor blades to scrape off mistakes.

Edited by DSmith2300

3 answers to this question

I share your frustration that arrow heads/markers cannot be edited by instance on a dimension object and it seems to me that Dimension Standards are ripe for an overhaul, especially as they cannot easily be shared using the Resource Manager.

The only way I know how to change Arrows and other markers is through a Dimension Standard and I have never had problem with that as long as I select the correct marker options in the Dimension Standards dialog!

There seem to be all sorts of convoluted workflows surrounding Dimension Standards, Leader Lines, Callouts and Data Tag leader lines. It strikes me that a control panel for all Dimensions and Leaders would be a good thing to have so that all Dimensions and Leaders are controllable from a single source. This could then be stored as a Dimensions/Leader resource that can be imported and exported using the Resource manager.

• Like 3