Standing 3D Figures with Variety of Skin Tones and with Facial Features

Nick T.

When trying to add 3d figures from the Vectorworks resource manager, it appears all of the standing figures are Caucasian and all of the figures that are BIPOC are sitting. Is there any way to edit attributes of the figures from the resource manager to change skin tone or clothing items of the created figures. Or is there another place within vectorworks that you can create realistic 3d figures that are BIPOC?

Interesting observation. 

3D figures in VW have been discussed on the Forum in several places, poke around. 

The consensus is that the figures provided by VW are more of a suggestion of what's possible but not ultimately that useful. 

there are a few free models out there - with a more diverse pool of assets.

Look to:

https://secure.axyz-design.com/
https://renderpeople.com/3d-people/
https://3dpeople.com/

There is also Twinmotion, Enscape, and others for putting people into renderings

Bart

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Nick T. said:

Is there any way to edit attributes of the figures from the resource manager to change skin tone or clothing items of the created figures.

No, it is not possible to edit the skin tone or clothing items of the 3D figures included with Vw. If they do not suit your needs (which are entirely reasonable) you will have to look to third-party solutions as Bart correctly noted. 

6 hours ago, rDesign said:

No, it is not possible to edit the skin tone or clothing items of the 3D figures included with Vw. If they do not suit your needs (which are entirely reasonable) you will have to look to third-party solutions as Bart correctly noted. 

This, depending on the 3d figure, is actually doable to some degree. Here's a poorly lit screencap of two figures with a version of caucasian skin texture and one with a version of African skin texture. It's a pain in the butt and attempts to edit these figures often break them unpredictably, which is sad for me as they can be relatively easily posable -realistic they're not, but adding a kinetic sense to the poses does help…

Screenshot2023-12-22at12_07_48AM.thumb.png.6978d784e7c1235624768059e96179a0.png

@rDesign y'know what cracks me up — even tho being declared Legacy years ago, they're still populating the RM's Entourage section, and as we can see in the appended screenshot, & as sketchy (SNS) a piece of code-writing as they may be, the ability to set a dynamic pose, color & texture of almost every element inside VW has always been a blessing* to me. I'll miss em when they're gone for realz.

[nope, the current fashion jean w/ tear @ knee is not a feature]

Screenshot2023-12-22at11_37_13AM.thumb.png.3016432f398a59f98d33a7d265956ad0.png

* yes a blessing which, as much of VWX elsewhere does, can transform into a TVA-level curse, see knee note above.

Edited by mjm

1 hour ago, mjm said:

the ability to set a dynamic pose, color & texture of almost every element inside VW has always been a blessing* to me. I'll miss em when they're gone for realz.

I also like figures that can be posed.  Several months ago I posted some 3D people that can be articulated and textured, etc., they are suitable for most peoples needs, especially if there is movement involved.  In the short clip below, there are realistic statice figures and "not so" realistic figures that move.  To me, the "not so" realistic work better than the realistic.