Papperwork of totems

On 12/4/2023 at 11:46 AM, jcogdell said:

This webinar by @markdd does a brilliant job of explaining the workflow to use schematic views for custom positions

This is really good work, good sound, and good English for non-native people. In fact, I watch all other videos on @markdd channel.

But, about this, I think this was some advanced information/content that I won't be an expert yet. Because I realised for the first time some concepts that I had never seen before:
- Nurbs for hanging positions (?)
- I didn't understand the constant rotations and the type of "view" with which they were made.

At the end of the video, I learned a few things, but I couldn't transpose what I saw to what I needed. I just want a front view in a diagram of the totems that I have vertically, do I have to rotate all my totems?
What if I make a general change to the design? Do I have to copy all the totems again and create the respective views again?

I'm not saying that the video is incorrect, I'm saying that I didn't understand the logic of the workflow. Please don't get me wrong.

In Vectorworks 2024, is it still that "difficult" to make a schematic view of a vertical/rotated/raked positions truss?

22 hours ago, markdd said:

Send me a sample of one of your booms (totems) and also can you let me know what you mean by a Front view. I have a feeling that this is where the confusion lies……

Sure.

I don't have a problem with that. Check the VWX file attached.

This is the problem:
When you have totems you just see the legend of the first fixture. I need to make a 2D projection. 3D Front -> 2D Top (Where the fixture's legend is readable) 

image.thumb.png.f5bb7b855c61e41371ffe688d482863f.png

If you change de view for the front you don't have any legend with information.
image.thumb.png.06a648fd207dfdb08437491bed15e141.png

I accept the best way to make it and suggestions.

Example Tottems.vwx

Edited by Cristiano Alves
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, markdd said:

I have made a quick video explaining the process.....

Hello @markdd
I am coming back here because I think this is the best shot to produce the correct paperwork for my last project.
However, I tried your method and the results are different.

This is part of my project:

(FRONT VIEW)

image.png.d25ddeb82851968005c44e033e071a78.png

(RIGHT ISOMETRIC VIEW)
image.png.9edf99050ceec34c70183a1c648dbfb8.png

For my example, I will use the truss off Screen SR2.

image.thumb.png.43207f8a2f61bb4039a6731e82f5d245.png

As you said on your video, If I change the Hanging Angle I get this:
image.png.3dc3d432eb90c9eeaa5a3adb07d7d815.png

Not the same result.

If I use the Roll Angle I can get this:
image.thumb.png.e2bb020db5e012a952a0e060a8f3d25a.png

The screen doesn't move with the hanging position:
And the Ladders also don't move.
image.thumb.png.ed444a7935bd8f97fd7b3a93390f253c.png

image.thumb.png.c5675460e28f354ac09653f624b48354.png

Strange results, and I have 6 Hanging positions like these (with 2 ladders each).
The method that you said is the best way to apply in this case too?

Project file in attachments.

DG-CL24-VWForumPaperworks Front View.vwx

Edited by Cristiano Alves
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

With the Roll Angle and Hanging Angle both set to 0 the Hanging Position should be laying flat on the ground, not vertical. Schematic Views uses this as a basis to understand what the top view looks like.
When you set the Roll Angle or Hanging Angle to 90 then your structure should be vertical.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, klinzey said:

With the Roll Angle and Hanging Angle both set to 0 the Hanging Position should be laying flat on the ground, not vertical. Schematic Views uses this as a basis to understand what the top view looks like.
When you set the Roll Angle or Hanging Angle to 90 then your structure should be vertical.

I understood. You're right.

But now, as a member of the Vectorworks team, I leave here the question:
The problem with angles is not the only one when I have to resort to this method to do paperwork for vertical structures. In this case, as I already mentioned, there are 6 structures with 2 leaders each, I cannot group them because this method stops working; The only way is to use Shaded mode but this makes the documents extremely heavy, and the reading is not CAD.

This type of staging is not new, is this the only option?

Is there something in your Vectorworks development pipeline that will facilitate this need that many must-have?
(I even find it strange how there aren't more people reporting or asking about this, could it be that I haven't found the correct method to do this?)