Data Tag Functions List?

When you edit the layout, you can select a text object, assign the dynamic text, and then in the dialogue box that follows you can choose from the seven options that are there and each option will give you the functions are available. But I don't know where to find all of these written down. 

I'm not sure this will help you Bruce, but I'm just created a YouTube movie to show where to find all the different functions. It's just a short YouTube movie so it doesn't cover things in detail.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

the only available tags are those in the Dynamic Text editor

The exception being the worksheet functions for which only a selection are listed: for the full range of options you need to refer to the function reference like Pat says.

Plus I think Pat did something very clever with a worksheet script which opens up even more possibilities, but I can't remember what it was...!

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Yes it should work in a VP too. Not sure why it's not working for you.

You can use the object function #MATERIAL# or the worksheet function #WS_MATERIALNAME#: they will both do the same thing.

I did some testing and I think I can't data tag the material because the VP is of a symbol, and Vectorworks does not see the individual components of the symbol in the VP. I added another VP with a cube with Red Oak material to my sheet. The data tag works on that.

Screenshot2023-12-03at11_54_02AM.thumb.png.c844024a7c44aacc61c4fa8028959817.png

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I can't data tag the material because the VP is of a symbol

Correct. So presumably when it worked on the Design Layer you weren't tagging a symbol...?

You can tag objects inside Groups but not inside symbols...

Another option in your case would be to place the tag inside the symbol + control its visibility by class i.e. turn it on in VPs as required.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Correct. So presumably when it worked on the Design Layer you weren't tagging a symbol...?

Yes.

You can tag objects inside Groups but not inside symbols...

Good to know.

Another option in your case would be to place the tag inside the symbol + control its visibility by class i.e. turn it on in VPs as required.

That's a good workaround. I will give it a try. Thanks.

• Like 2