Section Viewport Display?

42 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Ha thwarted again.

I thought this time I really outsmarted 'em.

I created a clip cube so that only my desired objects were visible.

Now no issues of a front view, and seeing through to objects behind what I wanted to show.

Perfect.

Use the command to create a viewport , and "Display with clip cube" so only my clipped view would be in the viewport, and I could give it annotations.

Ha...!

The checkbox was greyed out.

Much head scratching until you hover over it, and read the info.

" ...Only available in shaded and renderworks modes"

Why is it so hard to do a section, or clip cube view port in wireframe?

I went down that wrong road too! Sad. The solution is easy. Give us wire frame in the section VP.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:38 AM, Bruce Kieffer said:

What are section viewports used for, and why use them if they are so limited?

For my Architectural work, I use Section Viewports all the time for Building Sections, Interior Elevations, Exterior Building Elevations, Detail Elevations, etc. For Exterior Building Elevations I use SLVPs so I can show the grade line close to the building face. Interior Elevations have gotten better in recent releases, but sometimes I find Section SLVPs easier to control.

I have not run into the issues you had with adding dimensions to circles on Section SLVPs, for example to locate pipes penetrating walls. (Granted I am not dimensioning them to the millimeter).

If I were drawing the cabinetry details from your example, I would have drawn the shelf bracket support holes with 2D circle annotations in the Hidden Line SLVP. I would not bother with modeling them in 3D.

Edited by rDesign
1 hour ago, rDesign said:

If I were drawing the cabinetry details from your example, I would have drawn the shelf bracket support holes with 2D circle annotations in the Hidden Line SLVP. I would not bother with modeling them in 3D.

That is an option. I assume it would work to be able to snap to the center. Even so, not being able to see the outline of the dividers on the cabinet sides is still a problem. I've moved on and I have given up the idea of using section VPs to do what I need to do.

• Like 1