Perspective Section not displaying materials

mattryan

Hi All

I have created a perspective section using a design layer viewport, when I view it in the design layer the materials are visible.

I created a viewport on my sheet and I cannot get the materials to show in the rendering, it seems all of the rendering settings are set properly but I must be missing something?

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

The first image is the viewport on the sheet and the second is the view of the section on the design layer.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.02.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.07.55 AM.png

Ah, I was thinking it was a section viewport on the sheet layer.

I think I have recreated this:

image.thumb.png.fc702536f5d5cb1219c1af7692f63254.png
On the left is Design Layer 1. On the right is the sectioned viewport, placed on Design Layer 2(and shifted over).

When I make a sheet layer view, of design Layer 2, I get this: (which is even worse than yours) No way to bring the model color through.

image.png.7a62e7051dc859b33c95d8993ff28544.png

My guess is that the "intended process" for a perspective section on a sheet layer is to use the Clip Cube in a perspective view of the un-sectioned model and then make a Sheet layer Viewport and use the "Display with Clip Cube" option for the section. 

With that said, this does seem like a bug. 

Bart

17 hours ago, mattryan said:

Hi All

I have created a perspective section using a design layer viewport, when I view it in the design layer the materials are visible.

I created a viewport on my sheet and I cannot get the materials to show in the rendering, it seems all of the rendering settings are set properly but I must be missing something?

Any ideas would be very appreciated.

The first image is the viewport on the sheet and the second is the view of the section on the design layer.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.02.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 10.07.55 AM.png

I'm pretty sure this issue was discussed elsewhere several months back but I can't find the thread... Basically it was established that this technique (creating a design layer section VP then creating a SLVP from it) used to work but at some point stopped working (the rendering problems you identify). I can't remember what the outcome was. I'm pretty sure I filed a bug but without being able to find the thread I can't be sure!

BTW the intention with this technique was to have a 3D section (like a clip cube VP) but with wall/slab/etc components displayed on the cut plane. Otherwise like @BartHays says you can just use a clip cube VP.

Edited by Tom W.

I don't trust DLVPs; they always seem to end up with problems like this.

As @Tom W. says this has been discussed before.

I think I'm right in saying that there's still no way to make a clip-cube type 3d view where components etc are properly sectioned on the cut plane, is that right?

You are basically limited to sections where you are looking straight-on to a single cut plane.

5 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I think I'm right in saying that there's still no way to make a clip-cube type 3d view where components etc are properly sectioned on the cut plane, is that right?

According to the thread I'm talking about but can't find, you used to be able to do this without issue then by the time I tried it out for myself the functionality had developed a bug or whatever + no longer worked: I think the components displayed fine on the cut plane but the textures on the rest of the model displayed incorrectly (as demonstrated above). So yes, currently no way to do it + don't remember getting a response from VW about it when I brought it up that time...

Ok I found the thread I was talking about:

Looks like I submitted a bug report on 7-Mar-23 but going through my emails it doesn't look like I heard anything back after doing so... Unless you get an initial email reply off someone (which I generally do to be honest) I'm not sure how you chase it as you have no record of your submission or reference no. for it.

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ok I found the thread I was talking about:

Looks like I submitted a bug report on 7-Mar-23 but going through my emails it doesn't look like I heard anything back after doing so... Unless you get an initial email reply off someone (which I generally do to be honest) I'm not sure how you chase it as you have no record of your submission or reference no. for it.

My experience is that it's definitely more effective to nag on the forums than submit bugs formally so that's what I do.