Can't create a sloped curved wall in some files

JonKoch

I saw this posted a while back but the original poster never submitted any sample files so I'm going to try that here. Basically, I'm trying to draw a curved wall that will also slope gradually from one end to the other. When I double click on the wall I'm given the option to move the handles up and down and the red line shows what I am trying to create. The odd thing is that in some files, the whole wall moves up to that height even though the red line still shows it as sloping. (see attached screenshot) But then I copy and paste that same wall into another file and it works perfectly. I have no idea what's going on or why it doesn't work in that one file. 

I've tried it in 5 files and its worked in 3 of them but the other 2 it didn't. At first I thought it had to do with geolocated files but I busted that theory. 

I'm attaching 2 files. One is just a blank document with no site model. And the other is a test file with a site model. 

I am more curious than anything at this point as to why it works in some and doesn't in others. Usually bugs don't work across the board but I can't figure this one out. Anyway, thanks for taking a look!

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 8.19.58 PM.png

Test.vwx Test 2.vwx

Very strange.  I'm seeing the same issue you see.

More data:

Take your misbehaving wall and copy it into a blank file.  Same problem.

Draw a new curved wall.  Same problem.

Start a new file.  Draw a curved wall.  All good.

Copy misbehaving wall into this file.  All good.  Wall is fixed.

Copy same wall - now working - back to your file.  Problem returns.

I suspected for a while that it could be a distance from origin problem.  But now I think not.

It's probably not it, but the only difference I can see under the hood in a wall that works and a wall that doesn't is an undocumented real number setting.  606.  But I can't find a listing for 606 in the Object Selectors Appendix.  Must be a SDK thing?

SetObjectVariableReal(LNewObj,606,141841.394834864971926);

8 hours ago, michaelk said:

Very strange.  I'm seeing the same issue you see.

More data:

Take your misbehaving wall and copy it into a blank file.  Same problem.

Draw a new curved wall.  Same problem.

Start a new file.  Draw a curved wall.  All good.

Copy misbehaving wall into this file.  All good.  Wall is fixed.

Copy same wall - now working - back to your file.  Problem returns.

I suspected for a while that it could be a distance from origin problem.  But now I think not.

@michaelk Yeah it's really weird. I can't figure it out. I also thought it was an origin thing or something to do with geolocating the drawing, but I geolocated everything correctly relative to the origins. Also I busted that theory because it did work in some geolocated files and not in others. I even tried the good old restart Vectorworks and computer and still didn't resolve it. 

I had a go at this but I couldn't make it work. The wall refused to drop one end like it is supposed to. I tried copying the wall and site model into a brand-new file, pasting it right in the middle of the design area. The wall still refused to edit the way that I wanted. I also tried editing the wall style, tried it with an styled wall, nothing worked.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I had a go at this but I couldn't make it work. The wall refused to drop one end like it is supposed to. I tried copying the wall and site model into a brand-new file, pasting it right in the middle of the design area. The wall still refused to edit the way that I wanted. I also tried editing the wall style, tried it with an styled wall, nothing worked.

Yup, same here. I was able to paste the "bad" wall in a blank document and it worked. It actually came in angled how I had requested it in the other file. 

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

I tried all those too.

Have you tried opening a blank file drawing a curved wall, then pasting in the "bad" wall?

That worked for me.

I was able to paste the "bad" wall in a blank document and it worked. It actually came in angled how I had requested it in the other file. So it must be something in that particular file or other files that the tool didn't work for me. But what is it that is different? I tried using the tool in some other georeferenced files with site models and it worked just fine. Even with the same style wall. 

37 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

I believe this issue is due to having objects too far from the internal origin.  I tested this by deleting all objects on all layers except of the wall. then I cut and pasted the wall closer to the origin and it shows sloped.

@Matt Panzer I think you are actually right. I went back and checked my georeferencing and the two files it isn't working in are the first two files I set up with georeferencing before I understood Internal origin and user origin. If i fit to page area, it takes me far away from the drawing. When I opened the file that it was working in, when I fit to page it takes me right on top of my model. This has to be it. I'll run a couple more tests. I should've known!

49 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

I believe this issue is due to having objects too far from the internal origin.  I tested this by deleting all objects on all layers except of the wall. then I cut and pasted the wall closer to the origin and it shows sloped.

Wouldn't ya know it. Made a new file, geo-referenced it and set the internal origin at my project area, then set user origin to match coordinates, drew the wall, and voilá, it worked. Man, I knew this was the issue, why didn't I double check that! Another user error!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
15 hours ago, JonKoch said:

Wouldn't ya know it. Made a new file, geo-referenced it and set the internal origin at my project area, then set user origin to match coordinates, drew the wall, and voilá, it worked. Man, I knew this was the issue, why didn't I double check that! Another user error!

Great to hear that fixed it! 🙂 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, michaelk said:

Just tested it.  It works fine until the wall is about 4991 meters from the origin.  

At about 4991 meters from the origin it vanishes in 3D view and reappears about 1 cm further out without the 3D edits showing.

Yeah.  About 5 Kilometers from the origin seems to be where things get weird.  I believe this more of a floating point math limitation in computers (or graphic cards) than it is a software issue. Either that or maybe it’s due to an artificial limitation for performance reasons.  I do know other software has similar limits.