Working Plane Views mode

I've just discovered this setting for the first time. How long have we had this?! I'm guessing forever, lol.

It allows you to use standard views (View > Standard Views) to look at your building model at right angles when the plan is rotated.

To trigger this setting: say you have a site plan with north up the screen and your building is it at an angle. You rotate the plan so that your building is at right angles to the screen and then activate one of the standard views for the first time.

Screenshot2023-11-03at11_34_51.thumb.png.9bc1b292e212b81d6a2566953d811460.png

• Like 2

I was aware of it but have always been unclear whether to say yes or no 🙂. Bit of a convoluted message. But have messed around in a blank file + thanks to your explanation can see what it means now!

Couldn't it just say 'Maintain rotated perspective on view change?' or something?

• Like 1

They often sound like the Tech Pubs worked from the Task Description. The programmers need a different set of words explaining WHAT it is supposed to do so they can make it work correctly. The users need to know a different WHAT which is how it can help them.

"Do you want to use Working Plane Views Mode when switching from Plan to a Standard Orthogonal view?  In Working Plane Views mode, the standard Orthogonal views (Front, Right, Left, Back) align to the working plane, not the layer plane. You can turn this off later by ......."

4 hours ago, Christiaan said:

You rotate the plan so that your...

In a simple separate test file, (3 Extrudes) tested this and it appears very convoluted - VW changes the Rotate plan back to Zero ?

Question

Is the Plan Rotation set to 0 first, (In the Mode / Tool Bar)- and the geometry drawn / rotated in the drawing ? or is the Geometry drawn X-Y first and then then entire drawing rotated ?

Need to Google search the VW Help to get a hit for Working Plane Views mode  only one UNDER THE VIEW BAR  with text in that Blue Green Text Zone  (Where the Main Print giveth and the Inset print taketh away ...) No real explanation

Rotated Plan view is a major thorn in our Workflow - A. we do not use it - B. VW appears to automatically think we want it. The result is geometry that cannot be edited in Top/Plan view (as VW has decided it is now rotated) or Geometry (Symbols especially) that are placed and rotated show up in Standard views (Front, Right etcetera...) at an angle, not the view expected.  Top/Plan view often indicates Rotated Top/Plan View.

Assistance is appreciated

Peter

HELP.pdf

Thank you @Stephan Moenninghoff.

For me I think it would be even clearer if the connection to the Rotated Top/Plan View you're coming from was mentioned. So perhaps instead of 'Views will be relative to the new Working Plane' it should say 'Views will be relative to the Rotated Top/Plan View'...? I know technically they're relative to the new working plane but I'm not really thinking about the working plane - or aware of it at all - I'm only thinking about my rotated model in plan.

• Like 2

Thanks Stephan, thats great. I agree with Tom, Rotated Top/Plan View is the more intuitive reference.

"You can revert this in the Standard Views menu in the View Bar" could also be clearer I think by being more explicit: "You can revert this by activating Top/Plan View in the Standard Views menu in the View Bar" or just "You can revert this by activating Top/Plan View"

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Thanks Stephan, thats great. I agree with Tom, Rotated Top/Plan View is the more intuitive reference.

"You can revert this in the Standard Views menu in the View Bar" could also be clearer I think by being more explicit: "You can revert this by activating Top/Plan View in the Standard Views menu in the View Bar" or just "You can revert this by activating Top/Plan View"

Yes good point: in fact is the only way to get rid of the Working Plane to activate Top/Plan View by whatever means...?

Apart from going to Iso view then changing to Layer Plane in Active Plane drop-down...