Interior Elevations

Sade16

Question

I created a new viewport with elevations however, I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

The ceiling slab is slightly lower than the height of the walls but still shows the top of the walls, with the slab floating. I was hoping it would just give me the interior drawings using the parameters of the slab and the walls. Is there a way to do this automatically or do I need to set the height of the walls?

I;ve attached images of this below please advise.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 12.13.31.png

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 12.14.25.png

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Sade16!

I think these viewports will follow the height of the wall as it is explained in the Vectorworks help.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Viewports1/Creating interior_elevation_viewports.htm?rhsearch=interior elevation&rhhlterm=interior elevation

I cant promise it, but ill see if I can find a solution for this!

@Domas Any followup?  What would the recommended Workflow be for interior elevations where there's a dropped ceiling that is lower than the overall height of the walls?  How do I get a solid outline around the actual space?

I currently make my interior elevations using regular sections (because of the silly thing where you have to put interior elevation markers on the design layer instead of in annotations like everything else).

Where the ceiling is anything other than dead flat It usually involves some very careful placing of the section cut line, and/or some fiddly cropping of the viewport.

The trickiness arises anywhere the section cut line cuts the ceiling in a location where the ceiling is lower than it is next to the wall you want an elevation of, because the top bit of the wall then gets obscured. It isn't always possible to move the section line right up against the wall because it'll then cut through anything projecting from the wall (for example shelving) that you want to show in elevation. This problem comes up when the ceiling has dropped sections, or when it's a sloping ceiling.

This is parallel to a problem creating reflected ceiling plans, which is discussed here:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/66836-reflected-ceiling-plan-work-flow/&do=findComment&comment=499500

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

add a crop object

I have been manually tracing the outline as a crop object, and using the same polygon as an outline in annotations.  I guess that's what I'll keep doing. 

5 hours ago, line-weight said:

I currently make my interior elevations using regular sections (because of the silly thing where you have to put interior elevation markers on the design layer instead of in annotations like everything else).

Good idea.  It will have to wait until my next project because I've already set up the elevations with the Interior Elevation Marker (which are now classed & hidden)

Also, if you haven't voted already there's a Wishlist item:

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I have been manually tracing the outline as a crop object, and using the same polygon as an outline in annotations.  I guess that's what I'll keep doing. 

Could save yourself one step by making the crop object itself of the lineweight/type that you want to indicate the outline, and ticking "crop visible" in the viewport OIP?

(would save duplicating it in annotations I think)

I'm forever changing my mind about the best way to clearly draw the "section cut" line for interior elevations. It can be difficult to do it in a neat way when the section is complex, and if you use the crop object you have to keep an eye out for when it needs updating to match changes in the model geometry.

The drawings I'm currently working on I've decided to do it by using a solid black fill, merged, for sectioned geometry:

Screenshot2024-03-11at16_27_03.jpg.772d0ee74ff2cd4a7a12372859bec762.jpg

Still not entirely happy with how this looks, graphically.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Could save yourself one step by making the crop object itself of the lineweight/type that you want to indicate the outline, and ticking "crop visible" in the viewport OIP?

This is why I love this forum.  You learn something new all the time.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

I'm forever changing my mind about the best way to clearly draw the "section cut" line for interior elevations. It can be difficult to do it in a neat way when the section is complex

I use interior elevations only to deal with the interior finishes, etc,  so I use a thick profile line and don't indicate anything beyond what you would see standing in the space. I handle anything outside of the space itself in the section drawings.  Closed cabinets are outside of the profile line, bookshelves are part of the profile.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I use interior elevations only to deal with the interior finishes, etc,  so I use a thick profile line and don't indicate anything beyond what you would see standing in the space. I handle anything outside of the space itself in the section drawings.  Closed cabinets are outside of the profile line, bookshelves are part of the profile.

I agree with this logic - and agree using a thick crop line is the way to achieve the best result - however what stops me using this method is that it can become very time consuming adjusting (and re-adjusting) that crop line around complicated geometry (for example around shelving and cabinets, as you describe).

9 minutes ago, line-weight said:

it can become very time consuming adjusting (and re-adjusting) that crop line around complicated geometry

Agree, but it's the cost of doing business.  I tend to draw interior elevations late in the process, so fewer things are likely to change.

• Like 1