VW2024 Railing tool question

Looks like you need to go to the PIO Style Options in the Resource Manager (right click on the style). If class is greyed out in the OIP it means it is set to by style so can only be edited in the PIO Style Options. Or you can set it to be by instance which will allow it to ge edited in the OIP on an object by object basis.

• Like 1

I don't think I would have ever figured that out.  I was vaguely aware that those options existed.  But in my mind, it was just another random dialogue box somewhere, which up until this point, I didn't have much occasion to tinker with. 

At the very least you should be able to access the plug in style options when you edit the railing object style. 

Edited by cberg

My preference would be for 'Plug-in Object Style Options...' to be available in the context menu when you right-click on a styled PIO in the drawing i.e. you would have the choice of editing either the options for the object or the options for that object's style. This would be similar to how you currently right-click on a Door instance for example + can either choose to edit the settings for that instance ('Edit') or edit the settings for that object's style ('Edit Plug-in Style...').

At the moment I have to right-click on the PIO, select 'Locate Plug-in Style in Resource Manager', right-click on it there + select 'Plug-in Object Style Options...'. Too much clicking @Matt Panzer🙂

These are really important settings which need accessing frequently so should be more means of getting to them + quickly.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, cberg said:

I don't think I would have ever figured that out.  I was vaguely aware that those options existed.  But in my mind, it was just another random dialogue box somewhere, which up until this point, I didn't have much occasion to tinker with. 

At the very least you should be able to access the plug in style options when you edit the railing object style. 

Yup. It really needs to be fixed.

The discussion in that thread I linked to, that was a few months ago, and I got my head around what everything was, but in the intervening time had forgotten again so had to go and re-read it to remind myself. It's a really confusing and non user-friendly setup.

• Like 2

@Tom W. There is no reason why it shouldn't be a menu command that can get added to the right click object context menu.  It's a great idea. Your workaround at least helps me ferret through the Resources Manager.

@line-weight I have to go back to that discussion thread you referenced when I am not in the middle of a deadline and spend more time with that list.  I probably will learn something new.

Thanks again all! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cberg said:

@line-weight I have to go back to that discussion thread you referenced when I am not in the middle of a deadline and spend more time with that list.  I probably will learn something new.

it's not actually the main subject of that thread, but this specific issue got discussed as part of it. It's been brought up in many other threads though, because it so often confuses people enough to start a thread here asking where to find the settings for something.