Wall components not showing in Top/Plan?

thinkingpencil

Question

Hello all, I am quite an experienced user ( currently VWX 2023 SP7 ) and rarely  baffled these days....but unless I am missing the obvious I cannot find a solution. I would be very grat eful for any comments...

...So after I've reviewed the settings of both component and container classes. All visible. Still, none of the wall types on layer 0-Ground Proposed A show their components or the hatches of those components in wireframe rending. They do render normally in Top view. In Top/Plan the components can be seen using the clip cube...

...I imported a wall with the same hatches from another file which also fails to show in this one. So it's a file problem as far as I can see.

Both files are in fact started out from my primary template. So maybe copying is an issue.

Thank you in anticipation.

231017 289_02.vwx

8 answers to this question

Tom, thank you so much!

I really appreciate you spending time to explain. Of course I could see all detail as soon as I turned off 'Auto Display Detail Levels for Design Layers'.

Not sure when I must have turned this setting on!? I will learn more about it.

Anyway I am fee-earning again thanks to your alert kindness.

Thank you again.

Mark

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, thinkingpencil said:

Not sure when I must have turned this setting on!? I will learn more about it.

I never use detail levels on the design layer but I know others do. I only use it in viewports but even then fairly sparingly because you have no control over the precise geometry that Doors + Windows display at low detail. Unlike Hybrid Symbols where you can control exactly what geometry you see + what you don't see.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, Tom W. said:

It's because you've got 'Auto Display Detail Levels for Design Layers' turned on + these are your detail level settings:

Screenshot2023-10-17at20_08_48.png.036411f768122de88b84514887cbfd1d.png

With these settings your layer scale would need to be 2x in order for the components to display.

Could you please tell me where can I find this setting?

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Is there a way to manually switch between LODs in Design Layers ?

(Or would I need to change my DL scales to be able to examine the LODs ?)

Yes I think the only way to see the different Detail Levels of objects on the design layer is to enable 'Auto display detail levels...' + change the layer scale whatever you have the different detail levels set to in the auto display settings doc prefs.

For me personally I think it would be far more useful to be able to just set the level of detail on the design layer to Low, Medium or High in the same way it works in a VP, regardless of the layer scale. 

41 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

For me personally I think it would be far more useful to be able to just set the level of detail on the design layer to Low, Medium or High in the same way it works in a VP, regardless of the layer scale. 

Yes, that is what I hoped for .....

or something in OIP on per object basis ....