Allow the Reshape Tool and Move by Points tool to work together to "stretch" vertices

Bill Treen

Question

Currently, we can use the move by points tool to move objects. It seems natural that we should be able to move vertices of objects using the Move By Points tool too.

We should be able to select vertices of objects (invoke the reshape tool), select the desired vertices, then invoke the move by points tool (vertices still selected) and "stretch" the vertices by points.

In the example below, I want to relocate the two selected vertices so they are 4'-0" away from the black line using a "Stretch by points mode"
With the vertices selected we should be able to initiate the move by points tool to relocate these vertices to the desired location.

Currently, this is not possible. The current work flow to accomplish this is un-necessarily complicated.

Please allow these tools to function together to create a "stretch by points" mode.
image.thumb.png.ab675c75e46ec32d58d8ac99048931ab.png 

image.thumb.png.94661304ef277406af205740e995bf29.png

13 answers to this question

Generally I also always asked for a consolidation of Select/Move or

any other Command that includes a Move option and the

Move by Points Tool.

I think the recommended way would be by using the "G" key.

That should allow to reset the move at a certain point, before

you enter the values from there.

Problem is that I try to use "G" every few years again but

so far never was able to make it do what I want or expect.

Seems I am not compatible with that VW feature.

My Keep It Stupid Simple approach in this case would be

- move the points to black line

- move again away to desired location ....

This is also why in VW I really use Select/Drag Tool for 95%

of movements.

(Together with the "T" key to lock to a single Axis, if ever applicable)

And I never ever used any Select/Drag option in any other CAD

before or after VW. All had beautiful satisfying single do-it-all

Move Tool.

I think the Gold Standard for Move Tools goes to Microstation,

same for Selections and Filtering and easiest use of Axis constraints.

(On the 3D Mesh App side, it is clearly Modo !)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

What is your current workflow? I would just hit tab, right arrow then enter +4' in the floating data bar + hit return twice.

54 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

I agree that’d be nice.

But in the meantime, another things that works is once you marquee over the vertices, you can actually use the Move command (Cmd+M) to type in a value to move only the selected vertices.

That works for known distances. In the example, the distance is 4'-9 1/8". I know that because I put a dimension down. I don't want to have to do that.I  want to move the vertices in the same way that I would move the entire object, using the move by points command. That way I don't have to know the existing distance. I only need to know the distance I want. For years, I have gone to use this combo only to be reminded, it doesn't work in Vectorworks.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think the recommended way would be by using the "G" key.

That should allow to reset the move at a certain point, before

you enter the values from there.

Doesn't work with vertices only.

32 minutes ago, zoomer said:

My Keep It Stupid Simple approach in this case would be

- move the points to black line

- move again away to desired location ....

Exactly what I am trying to improve upon.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Bill Treen said:

That works for known distances. In the example, the distance is 4'-9 1/8". I know that because I put a dimension down. I don't want to have to do that.I  want to move the vertices in the same way that I would move the entire object, using the move by points command. That way I don't have to know the existing distance. I only need to know the distance I want. For years, I have gone to use this combo only to be reminded, it doesn't work in Vectorworks.

Sorry I misread your post. You mean using the Reference Point Mode of the tool. This would indeed be useful!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

What is your current workflow? I would just hit tab, right arrow then enter +4' in the floating data bar + hit return twice.

@Tom W. - Interested in what you mention as I am unable to have it function as described 

...an example as in the first illustration by Bill Treen above ...  (May be a preference setting)

Expound, Please and Thank You

Peter

6 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

@Tom W. - Interested in what you mention as I am unable to have it function as described 

...an example as in the first illustration by Bill Treen above ...  (May be a preference setting)

Expound, Please and Thank You

Peter

Like this:

This is with a Rectangle but with a Polygon or Polyline using the Reshape Tool it's easier because it will show 0 in the data bar + you just enter the offset value.

But I understand now that @Bill Treen was talking about something else: offsetting the edge of the Rectangle 4 foot from another object