VW 2024 interface

DMcD

"Find upgrades designed to give you faster workflows from start to finish."

Am I the only one to find that the changes to the 2024 interface compared with 2023 are… daft, unnecessary, pointless and measurably slow down workflow to a large extent, especially if you've used VW before?

Moving the classes, layers, views drop downs and reducing the drawing space does not seem to achieve anything in usability… or am I missing something? There's now some odd icons between the tool palette and the tool options which used to be on the right side and could largely be ignored. They're now on the left side. Why??

It looks like change for change's sake when you've run out of ideas to add properly usable features. Or am I missing the bigger picture?

There's another thread on the View Bar Sort Order requesting customisation of the view bar or whatever the top of the window is called. I'd certainly vote for anything which allowed see to revert to the functional top bar of the previous decade or more!

D

• Like 3

I think you have to give it a bit of time to get used to the new layout before deciding whether it's an improvement or not.

For me, the VW2024 "user interface improvements" are slightly disappointing in that they don't really seem to have addressed the bigger issues such as confusing dialogue boxes and inconsistent or unintuitive terminology. The VW UI is at its worst once you enter "dialogue box world". That part is, I imagine, the harder part to fix, which is why it's not happened.

• Like 2

Not saying you're the only one but I think it's an improvement. Totally agree with @line-weight on dialogue boxes but it seem that VW are at least thinking about UI and how to improve which is good. I've been using VW for around 8 years and haven't noticed much effort directed to UI before this.

I think there will also be many hidden improvements that I haven't really noticed yet - in the early stages there were lots of things that had to be pointed out to me for me to notice, but once they had I realised the benefit.

• Like 1

I posted this a while ago because it reminded me so much of VW. That looks at stuff like what happens in the top toolbar and how it's grouped and so on - as well as going into all the dialogue box type stuff. Some of the changes we've seen in VW2024 seem to be doing a bit of that. So it's a start at least.

Edited by line-weight