How to copy and paste with base point and insertion point

Camila85

Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to paste an object that I've copied into a specific point in my drawing? At the moment when I copy and paste I don't seem to have any control over the precise place I want it to be in my drawing. Autocad had a function where you could copy and specify the base point of the object being copied and then it would paste at the exact point you clicked - I'm sure VW must have a similar function but I'm new I can't seem to see online what this might be. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks 

4 answers to this question

Depending on where you're copying the object from you could try Move by Points in the second mode:

Screenshot2023-09-20at12_19_45.thumb.png.e4f19e78bb35f83282fe61169ee85eb6.png

I use Move by Points in it's different modes dozens of times a day so worth having a play with if you're not already using it.

I realise this isn't the exact functionality you're asking for.

• Like 1

You can paste an object directly on to the last point you clicked in the drawing area and a symbol/plugin will paste using the insertion point as the reference point. All other objects will paste at the centre of the object’s bounding box.

There is the Paste in Place command which will paste the exact coordinates of an object from where it was copied from, but that is probably not what you need right now although is worth knowing about.

As @Tom W. suggests, the Move by Points tool will probably give you the functionality you are looking for.