Is there a way to tag wall colors?

Ramon PG

6 hours ago, shorter said:

Can you give an example?  Do you mean add a colour to a wall to identify wall types on a drawing?

If so, use Data Visualisation.

Hello, thanks for the replies.

Sorry I was not clear... I meant in a construction document. I'd nice to double click on a wall and have some sort of tag to make the operation easier.

Data visualization would nicely, but for all sides of a wall.

How do you do it?

image.thumb.png.2012ed1f92dd010be9ee011000f0e8f6.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ramon PG said:

Not sure I get it. Would it show in plan view?

The paint finish wouldn't have a thickness, it would be for elevation purposes, however, it could be tagged, so in plan view you can tag the geometry that has the appropriate paint color. In elevation, you can tag it as well, and depending on your viewport layers, it would render the paint with shaded options, or you can set a specific hatch if need be for the different types of paint. You would have to experiment with that. However, the tag information would be the most imporant as it would extract all the information necessary for your schedules, elevations and FF&E plans

• Like 1

There are a couple of ways to do this visually without using a tag, which I tend to find are not that helpful.

You could add a very thin component to the wall in a class you can turn off, e.g. 'Wall-Finish-Type', and give that component line weight and colour related to the finish or finishes.

It's a bit manual but simple and obvious and if you want to change things visually or generate a key it's a bit long-hand.

Alternatively, add components to the wall and use data visualisation to highlight the material e,g, with a solid fill or thick line.  This can be done with something as simple as a class but you have to model the component, which may not be desirable when working to strict LOD or 'common-sense' rules.

You can also create a data tag to add the final flourish too, such that the data tag picks up the name of the component in the wall...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shorter said:

There are a couple of ways to do this visually without using a tag, which I tend to find are not that helpful.

You could add a very thin component to the wall in a class you can turn off, e.g. 'Wall-Finish-Type', and give that component line weight and colour related to the finish or finishes.

It's a bit manual but simple and obvious and if you want to change things visually or generate a key it's a bit long-hand.

Alternatively, add components to the wall and use data visualisation to highlight the material e,g, with a solid fill or thick line.  This can be done with something as simple as a class but you have to model the component, which may not be desirable when working to strict LOD or 'common-sense' rules.

You can also create a data tag to add the final flourish too, such that the data tag picks up the name of the component in the wall...

The problem with a component is that the same wall may have different colors depending on the room... I do like the tagable option as it will serve to ID the color easily in a plan.

image.png.40233d8bd0cef53d2806d399d97c20a8.png

17 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

The paint finish wouldn't have a thickness, it would be for elevation purposes, however, it could be tagged, so in plan view you can tag the geometry that has the appropriate paint color. In elevation, you can tag it as well, and depending on your viewport layers, it would render the paint with shaded options, or you can set a specific hatch if need be for the different types of paint. You would have to experiment with that. However, the tag information would be the most imporant as it would extract all the information necessary for your schedules, elevations and FF&E plans

Thinking it out loud...

1. Your option is very attractive: you establish a 3D polygon that you can move around and stretch and tag for easy identification. One could even get SqFt data from them.

2. Another method... how about selecting the color in the Room Finishes? The drawback I see there is that areas with office system cubicles would complicate things. 

3. An easier method... may be to establish a base color and just tag the accent colored walls in a way similar with no. 1 above.

BUT, defining the Tag Field (below) is where I get stuck.

@Jonathan Pickup Can we do a 1 hour session to solve this? Contact me.

image.png.e0b2b64374140af10248bb32610c17fb.png

image.png.304e6976fbb0e90922402d552fb3b9a9.png

image.png.010eee7ed76ec88ed1ba33b400f0579e.png

Edited by Ramon PG
5 hours ago, Samuel Derenboim said:

You need to create a custom record. This isnt a wall or plugin object, its simply geometry. Once you make the custom record and fields, use the record format element in that drop down to call out the fields you need. It will be empty at first, so in the data info box you can enter it, or via the tag

Working on it. I can't find a field that will read the geometry (extruded) area. Too bad the extrude will not show color in plan view... 🤔maybe I can use Data Viz??? I'll have to test that.