Taper Face not working

William Green 3

Question

I have started working on massing model and have extruded the building footprints, and now i want to start working on the roofs cape which should be simply extruding volumes and tapering the faces. The trouble is that when selecting the taper face tool i can select the first face but when i try to select the second, in order to determine which face to taper it does not select it. no matter which face i click on i can not select a second face. any ideas? At the moment I'm  doing a workaround of selecting the side of the volume as the working plane, drawing the shape, extruding it and then subtracting that from the original volume. but this is really slow and not ideal. 

7 answers to this question

what I'm trying to do is very basic, just taper simple extrusions. I've done it many times before but for some reason is not working now. I'm slowly working through the roofscape on this model but having to draw profiles and extrude them and cut back into them with another extrusion if there are multiple pitches rather than just using the taper tool as i would normally. it won't let me click the second face to taper for some reason so the tool is redundant. Ive also just tried extruding a cube and testing it in the file and it also doesn't work. if i create a new file and start from scratch it works, but if i copy anything across from this file (2d or 3d ) the taper face tool doesnt work, 

Screenshot2023-09-04at21_47_21.thumb.png.c97a43d851e2d5419c43ec337d2694c1.png

I always did this the tedious way.

Standard Gable Roof.

- Draw Box for the building with eave height

- Draw a Line in the middle on top at ridge XY position

- Push Pull Tool, Extrude one half of its top, up to ridge height

- Taper lower Box top Face up to ridge

- Taper upper top Face down to eave

- Delete Line

I always wished, Massing Model, could do what its name applies,

creating a reduced geometry, as it is used for Mass Models.

(Like in your screenshot)

By drawing or selecting an existing Polygon.

Where you can set and adjust number of Stories, Story Height,

Roof Type, flat, gable or hip roof.

But instead it builds a BIM building 😉

• Like 1