Background bitmap image obscures 3D objects

All, I've imported a plan view image of an existing landscape and have drawn new objects over it. When I view the drawing from any angle other than Top Plan or Top View, the 3D objects appear slightly obscured, almost like the background image is partially transparently covering them. And when I tilt the drawing at a very low angle (approaching a horizontal ground plane or "Front" view), I can see that the upper portion of the 3D objects I created are not obscured. It sort of looks like the background image is in a plane that is above the bottom, although I've sent it to 'Back.' I've tried both PNG and JPEG. Maybe some setting is incorrect? I've done this before and not had problems...  Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks Pat, I tried that and it still shows the 3D objects as partially obscured by the background image when I look at site from an oblique view (background image is now on a separate layer, beneath the design layer). Please see attached.

I would send the file itself (and will try to if necessary), but it is huge - I am struggleing to create & place image props, which are new to me (I have PNGs I made but they are not coming in with transparent backgrounds and the 'alpha channel' button in Create Image is gray - although my understanding is I shouldn't need it if it's a PNG). I've watched several videos but none address my issue.   Many thanks.

Screenshot (1286).png