Pivot Doors

Tom Klaber

Question

10 answers to this question

On 6/2/2023 at 8:43 AM, Tom Klaber said:

Time to port this over from Windoor.   Windoor seems too cumbersome and complicated for my office to get excited about - but we desperately need a pivot door type as part of the basic door tool.

We haven't sold a pivot door in 25 years, and now everybody is buying them, and now I'm suddenly, jumping through hoops to fake a pivot door on the plans.  

• Laugh 1

They are back in vogue for sure.  I tried to implement WinDoor just for that - but while I love the capability in principle - that thing is a beast and we gave up.  I am sure once you build out the resources and get used to it - but for now - just going to plead with VW to implement. 

@Tom Klaber, out of curiosity, what ecactly is the issue with Windoor? I am pretty familiar with the program, as I have used it since way before it was offered as a third party add-on in VW.

Not sure I can help, but if you post what it is yu want, that Windoor is not doing for ya, I am happy to have a look. IF you send attach a VW file make sure it is in version 2022 format.

-Kev

21 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

@Tom Klaber, out of curiosity, what ecactly is the issue with Windoor? I am pretty familiar with the program, as I have used it since way before it was offered as a third party add-on in VW.

Not sure I can help, but if you post what it is yu want, that Windoor is not doing for ya, I am happy to have a look. IF you send attach a VW file make sure it is in version 2022 format.

-Kev

I find it cumbersome.  The level of control is great - but day to day being greeted with:

image.png.0f535938bbf082f194f756411efc1f4b.png

And:

image.png.017818d6e7c216e38e8d1029e4ddebc5.png

I think what would help is contextual menus, where I can select the type of opening - then only be given options and values that apply.   In this menu above the setting for example - the Louver spacing setting is right next to the Pivot Offset setting (I hate that the pivot position is a percentage and not a dimensional offset), which is right next to the CS Cav / Dr Overlap.  Not intuitive to use.  I can see once you master it - and memorize where everything is - and build out office symbols and starting points - it could become powerful - but there is a barrier to entry. 

• Like 1

Tom

Ok, I see your concerns.

It has to be a bit that way because of all the special control you have versus the native VW doors and windows, seems to me.  

As you mentioned, and rightly so, it just takes getting used to 🙂

That said, with all of this, did you get the pivot door you wanted??

• Like 1

I might want to push back on the idea it has to be this way. I think it can maintain the control and complexity - but with some love - it could get a UI / UX that is a little more thought-out/user-friendly.  Advanced / rarely used settings can be segregated from everyday settings - better categorization - and again, contextualization would allow the tool not to show you settings for Pivot Offsets and Louver Spacing if you are inserting a glazed slider.  

Yes! I got the pivots I wanted!... by making a custom symbol and using the symbol in the VW door tool... I did not want to take the time to solve the scheduling and tagging conflicts just for the 2 oversized pivots we were using - so I just made NOTES in the door schedule.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

Could be a December SP update for Chistmas!

Not sure if it's the same in US architecture but this statement is dangerously close to the "you should be in by Christmas" jinx of UK residential architecture. If a contractor or consultant utters these words to the client it guarantees a fatal catastrophe that delays the project for many months.

• Confused 1
  • Laugh 1
2 hours ago, _James said:

Not sure if it's the same in US architecture but this statement is dangerously close to the "you should be in by Christmas" jinx of UK residential architecture. If a contractor or consultant utters these words to the client it guarantees a fatal catastrophe that delays the project for many months.

I have not heard it spoken - but yes - we very much have this same curse.