Missing wall components

LeeElston

Question

I have a wall, with render settings set as 'by component', but for sections of the wall the inner leaf and insulation components abruptly stop displaying, whilst the outer leaf and plaster components show as normal. The wrapping around the windows in the relevant lengths of wall are also showing as normal. Screenshots attached. Any ideas what is causing this?

TIA

Missing wall components section.png

Missing wall components.png

Missing wall components 2.png

18 hours ago, Sam_UK said:

Here are the same wall and roof types in a black doc and they work fin even on the gable.

image.thumb.png.f0ad590b645ae65d32393dad6a6b7305.png

and this is the file that is the issue2022-25 Con...vwx

I think I would forget about working in VW2024 because looking at your file then exporting it to VW2023 there are clearly still issues with wall clipping in VW2024.

I would also probably look to delete the existing Roof Faces in your file + start again as there is something wrong with them. This is what I am seeing (VW2023 file):

Screenshot2023-11-25at09_07_24.thumb.png.eb6c80761b6bf5b11979f838f7d0dd39.png

One Roof Face has flush components at the verge (the LH one) + the other has offset components (the RH one). I'm pretty sure that the norm for Roof Faces is for components to be flush at the verges + the offsets only be applied to the eaves so I'm not sure why the RH one is displaying like that. When I edit the offsets on this object they are only applied to the eaves so it looks like it is broken. I have to say that I find Roofs more reliable/predictable than Roof Faces + would always seek to use a Roof unless I am forced to split it in two (e.g. if the edge conditions are different on the two eaves). Roofs are probably my least favourite element in VW + it's always a bit of a depressing fudge getting them to work. I have had several instances of Roof Faces simply not working as they should.

Anyway if it was me I would model this building using a Roof object rather than two Roof Faces. With Roofs, the edge offsets are applied to the verges as well as the eaves + in my case the top component (the roof covering) is always the forward-most projecting component so I can raise the gable Walls up to the underside of that component + the rest of the roof is lost inside the wall + only the roof covering is seen, projecting whatever distance I need beyond the face of the wall (perhaps 35mm to allow a 25mm barge board on top of the cladding).

I don't normally bother making the roof clip the gable walls because I don't ever really show this is section: it's only the roof/wall interface at the eaves I want to show in section. At the gables I just want it to look correct externally + internally in 3D views.

@Matt Panzer it would be great to hear your thoughts as there have been several posts about roof clipping not working in VW2024 + I don't think I've seen any response from VW so far. I also filed a bug report a week or two ago + didn't hear anything back yet.

The roof had started as a complete roof, that I then ungrouped to give me roof faces as you can add and subtract from roof faces but not roofs.

I am in 2024 as the there are a few issues with 2023 I believe such as 3D sills and window closures which are now working well in 2024.

I have deleted the roof faces and replaced them with 1 complete roof and it still show exactly the same.

image.thumb.png.bfa452dc06c492569fcc6010258fac44.png

I have the gable not going to the top to show how the setbacks are working correct on the right but again on the left they are wrong.

image.thumb.png.19d44972ed7507d613262d4b40ca3323.png

This is just to show the different setbacks that I am getting. 

The bottom roof (right roof) is showing setbacks correct all round, whereas the top roof (left roof) has the setbacks at the eves and the right, but none of which intersect the wall correctly.

Well I have had a big file breakdown now and has become unusable, which is very frustrating. is there anywhere that files like this cant be sent to try and establish why this has happened?

Due to the file now not working in a usable manor I thought I would try a new file and copy across everything from each layer to the new file.
I thought I would start with the 2 layers that have been coursing the roof to wall issue, and this is the result. failure after failure is all I am getting, and it is costing so much time for something that should be so simple.

image.png.415665981076979e1b6ce97ea9b2292f.png

Im at a loss what to do next

Sign in to Service Select + go to 'Support': there is a Support Request Form. You can upload the file + get them to look at it. There is a UK number you can call too.

I wonder whether the file would be behaving better in VW2023. I appreciate you are committed to using VW2024 because of other improvements but might be the lesser of two evils...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 11/25/2023 at 4:56 AM, Tom W. said:

@Matt Panzer it would be great to hear your thoughts as there have been several posts about roof clipping not working in VW2024 + I don't think I've seen any response from VW so far. I also filed a bug report a week or two ago + didn't hear anything back yet.

I do know there are some roof clipping issues that have been addressed for VW 2024 Update 3.  However, I would recommend reporting these individual issues via bug submit of tech support to make sure they're looked at.

BTW:  The internal geometry of roofs and slabs have been reworked as an initial reengineering effort to (eventually) bring these objects more on par with walls.  This is likely the cause for these issues.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Sam_UK said:

thanks @Tom W. i did file a request after your comments. Do you know how long it takes to hear back as I have not heard anything not even a confirmations.

It varies. Generally within a day or two but there have been times I've had no reply at all but that might have only been the main US bug submit rather than the UK one...

If you don't hear anything after 3 days you could email them directly:

ukpremiumtech@vectorworks.net

• Like 1