OpenGL Section Viewport suddenly not rendering - turning white

archdaly

Question

I'm having an issue with section viewports that were rendering fine until my program suddenly force quit. Now the viewports are appearing as white or blank in OpenGL. Elevations appear in hidden line. Edit section in place takes me to a blank model space although I can hover over objects so I know they're there (normally my model space background is grey - now it's stark white). Attached are some images to help describe what I'm experiencing. VW 2020 on 2020 iMac (pimped out) running Catalina.

Hidden Line

ScreenShot2023-05-30at11_50_36AM.thumb.png.4a97e1e89ae5523cf5c85442928e8ab7.png

OpenGL

ScreenShot2023-05-30at11_51_16AM.thumb.png.0b7e01ab87368e434c4c62f500892775.png

16 answers to this question

Thanks for your reply, Pat. I do have draw edges checked, yes. I actually have not changed my settings in the viewport from when it WAS working prior to quitting unexpectedly. I've also tried switching back and forth from multiple rendering modes (both in viewport and in model space).

Any other thoughts? 

ScreenShot2023-05-30at1_13_46PM.png.dd53b24b7a6ca62035f52c30ca370215.png

Ugh... is always where I get tripped up unfortunately as I work as a set designer so my work is NDA. Any attempt to recreate the problem in a generic file never produces the same issues! I have tried multiple different render modes and they all produce a blank viewport. Hidden line seems to be the only one that works. 

1 hour ago, archdaly said:

Ugh... is always where I get tripped up unfortunately as I work as a set designer so my work is NDA. Any attempt to recreate the problem in a generic file never produces the same issues! I have tried multiple different render modes and they all produce a blank viewport. Hidden line seems to be the only one that works. 

all you have to do is delete content protected by the NDA and replace it with something generic…

Since you said that it doesn’t happen in other ‘generic’ files and only happens in this file, then it sounds like the file is corrupted.

You could either try recreating the file from a recent backup file (from before the force-quit), or import the Layers and objects into a new blank file.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, archdaly said:

thanks Jeff, unfortunately the set itself is protected by the NDA so I'm unable to send through any files. 😣

Pls let me know if you have any other thoughts or things I might try. I really appreciate it! 

I think you are misunderstanding me.  Your empty drawing with a few viewports and some placeholder geometry not related to your project is not a violation of an NDA, it’s simply something that would help people help you solve your issue while protecting your client(s).  The problem is likely your viewport settings, a corruption of the file, or some bad geometry.  That’s a lot of guesswork that can be whittled down with a file export as described.  9/10 times, a file export reveals the problem in minutes.

If you don’t get people to play the guessing game with you, perhaps it’s time to contact Vectorworks Support…

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, 

I think that you're probably right about it being a corrupt file... or something that didn't regenerate properly when I opened the file again after the crash. I've attempted in the past to adjust a file that was acting up to try and send through for others like yourself to take a look at but in doing so it usually "solves" the issue (probably deletes whatever was causing the issue in the first place). I think that I've been able to remove enough "identifiable" information to send through a file. 

Pls see attached. Thanks! VW - Test File.vwx

That file worked for me.

Something you might try...

In Document Preferences, turn off "Save viewport cache" and "save VGM graphics cache" in the problem file, then purge.  Save the file and reboot vectorworks.

See if the problem goes away once you update your viewports.