4 x Vectorworks Architect 2023 UK Licenses for sale

I'm curious if a VW Employee could chime in on this topic.  When I spoke with the sales department last year, they told me that perpetual licenses were non-transferable.  The work around being that the software could be transferred to another party, but the original owner would still be the one in their records ...

That would make on-going upgrade fees complicated.  It also seemed counter-intuitive.  Why I am I paying thousands of euros / dollars to buy an equity stake in the software if I can't then re-sell it to someone else?  I think the logic is that a perpetual license holder pays a lower annual fee.

Still - this seems like a point of confusion and it would be helpful to understand just what rights are attributed to 'perpetual license' holders.

I am not a VW employee, strictly a volunteer here on the forum, but here is my understanding.

1.  As of January 2023, VW is not longer selling new perpetual licenses and/or Service Select subscriptions.

2. If you have an existing perpetual license and a current Service Select agreement, VW will renew the Service Select plane and you can continue to get all of the upgrades issued during the time the agreement is in effect.

3. If you allow your Service Select to expire, you will not be able to renew it.

4. The only current option for someone who has an expired Service Select agreement or needs a new license is the Subscription plan.

5. If you purchase a second hand license, it will be for that exact version only, there will be no way to upgrade it.  If you purchase a VW2022 license today and in 2024 want to upgrade it you will not be able to and your only option for getting an upgraded license will be the subscription plan.

6. Second hand licenses are "perpetual" only to the extent that they are yours to use until you end up with hardware or operating system that will no longer run the version you have.

So why would you want to pay the transfer fee?

1. It will document with VW that you are the rightful owner of the software. This may be important if at some point in the future you lose your license key and need it replaced or need to download a new copy of the installer software.

2. VW will confirm that you are buying a legal license, not a pirated copy.

3. (Complete guess here) At some point in the future VW may offer a "welcome back" deal of some kinds. Only registered owners are likely to be included.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 9:21 PM, Pat Stanford said:

I am not a VW employee, strictly a volunteer here on the forum, but here is my understanding.

1.  As of January 2023, VW is not longer selling new perpetual licenses and/or Service Select subscriptions.

2. If you have an existing perpetual license and a current Service Select agreement, VW will renew the Service Select plane and you can continue to get all of the upgrades issued during the time the agreement is in effect.

3. If you allow your Service Select to expire, you will not be able to renew it.

4. The only current option for someone who has an expired Service Select agreement or needs a new license is the Subscription plan.

5. If you purchase a second hand license, it will be for that exact version only, there will be no way to upgrade it.  If you purchase a VW2022 license today and in 2024 want to upgrade it you will not be able to and your only option for getting an upgraded license will be the subscription plan.

6. Second hand licenses are "perpetual" only to the extent that they are yours to use until you end up with hardware or operating system that will no longer run the version you have.

So why would you want to pay the transfer fee?

1. It will document with VW that you are the rightful owner of the software. This may be important if at some point in the future you lose your license key and need it replaced or need to download a new copy of the installer software.

2. VW will confirm that you are buying a legal license, not a pirated copy.

3. (Complete guess here) At some point in the future VW may offer a "welcome back" deal of some kinds. Only registered owners are likely to be included.

HTH

Should also add... If you buy a secondhand license that is currently under a service select contract, only the license itself is transferable.  The service select contract is not transferable. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...