A bit of a survey... Maximum File Size

shorter

It is quite usual to find file size limits defined in BIM Execution Plans (BEPs).  These tend to relate to the native model size, and the federated model.

Like the definitions of level of detail (LOD), file size limits are a very sensible constraint, or 'brake', to stop the usual competition (or race to the bottom) to see who can create the largest file.

Unfortunately, like LOD, few seem to pay any attention to the limits set.

Depending on whose BEP and system requirements you read, the max. file size limits vary from 100Mb to 250Mb for native models, although we received one the other day with a 25Gb limit!  These limits are based on the expectation that not everyone has render-quality workstations.

So, question is, what do you think is an acceptable file size for Vectorworks, based on 'average' Mac or PC specification?

I would be interested to know what size files you tend to generate, and how much RAM you have, plus how long the file takes to open.

3 hours ago, shorter said:

I would be interested to know what size files you tend to generate, and how much RAM you have, plus how long the file takes to open.

Quite often 1.5-2GB. 10 secs to open maybe? But I'm not collaborating with anyone so perhaps your question doesn't apply to me...

24 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Quite often 1.5-2GB. 10 secs to open maybe? But I'm not collaborating with anyone so perhaps your question doesn't apply to me...

Thanks, @Tom W  It's not tied to collaborative projects, just file sizes in general versus RAM.

The 'other' software suggests keeping to a model 100Mb in size for every 8Gb of RAM.

I am also looking to compare file size with open times because anecdotally, we have examples of files taking hours to open in the 'other' software.

Intel 3.40GHz, no GPU
RAM    16GB
Win Home (considering changing to Pro)

Largest .vwx 550Mb, loads in <1 minute, spatially it's 400 square kilometres, but much is empty space with dense areas of contouring & aerials. Bulk of this data is aerials. VW seems very innefficient re making overly large files viz. other CADs (maybe as codebase is very old? and hasn't had a rebuild for decades?). As two of us work on this (via a NAS) and we're 1200km apart it makes sense to keep small as possible.

Most of my files ~100Mb or much smaller, and load in few to tens of seconds.

I don't 
• do rendering
• network or workgroup [learned hard way this the path to grief with VW], esp. as only instance where I would do this is 1200km away. 
• No call for BIM (thank goodness).
• do much modelling other than terrain surfaces

I do constantly clean/purge files to reduce clutter and excess vertices. Symbolise as much as possible. Increasingly mainly using VW to make pages from data created in other software. VW's main advantages to me are

A - Has an integral worksheet (although extremely idiosyncrtatic)

B - Handles organic curves okay

C - Has reasonable earth modelling esp. cut and fill capability

D - Easy to lay up lots of objects (although text handling is crap)

E - Makes small, sharp vector .pdf's

My files are usually 500Mb to 1Gb with lots of terrain modeling on a late intel iMac with 72GB RAM.

My 2015 MBP with 16MB RAM still does fine on such files, just not the site model update calculations.

File size doesn't seem to directly correlate with opening speed or RAM hit.

Point clouds have a small file size, but big RAM hit.

You could have a relatively small file with a bunch of overlapping polygons in it and bring a computer to its knees.

I think there was one such file here on the forum for a while back in 2019 when everyone was testing the new VGM and seeing how smoothly things spun around.

If you have people modeling spherical/cylindrical doorknobs, handrails, and hinges, there will be more coffee breaks than work done.

So, file size is not as important as LOD in my experience.

Edited by jeff prince