Question

So I'm working to develop workflows for my practice. Attached is the file I'm currently working with.

Guides and standard naming of classes....

I want guides to be created on class X-Guides. 

I think I've got standard naming set up correctly to do this , but when I go to create guides, Modify>Create Guide, the "Guide" class is created and the guide is created on that layer instead of where I want it to go.

What's going wrong?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Existing - Inital Layout.vwx

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

What's going wrong?

Nothing is wrong, that is how the guide tool works...

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Basic1/Guides.htm

Lot's of stuff is old and/or hard coded, not following recent developments in workflow like Styles.

When using Vectorworks tools, you will find it best not to try to change how it wants to behave 😉

• Like 1

Really? Just accept something doesn't work and move on?

Why would I pay a subscription for that?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

4 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Nothing is wrong, that is how the guide tool works...

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Basic1/Guides.htm

Lot's of stuff is old and/or hard coded, not following recent developments in workflow like Styles.

When using Vectorworks tools, you will find it best not to try to change how it wants to behave 😉

Edited by rudybeuc@gmail.com
1 hour ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Really? Just accept something doesn't work and move on?

Why would I pay a subscription for that?

It does work as described, you choose to ignore the proper workflow and pay for something you don’t like….

I don’t know what to tell you there bud 😉

A guide isn’t some magical BIM object, Vectorworks just throws stuff you draw on a class and locks it for you.  I just put objects I use as guides on their own design layer and manage them myself… more freedom to do what I want with controls I can manage myself.

• Like 1

I use Guides all the time + am quite happy with them. They are what they are. I don't pay any attention to the class they're on: it makes no difference to me as I never look at it. Guides are just a way to pepper the drawing with temporary guide-lines then quickly + easily delete them again (I have the Guide commands on my right-click menu). There is also the 'Hide Guides' command which turns the Guide class off but I generally just create them then delete them. It's the ease of deleting I like: it will find all Guides across all layers, visible + invisible, + get rid of them in one fell swoop. I personally would see little advantage in being able to automatically assign them to a different class. 

More permanent 'guides' I draw as my own objects on a separate layer like @jeff prince does.

• Like 2