Distributed Loads: Height differential

spettitt

I add cable loom weight to the top of trusses with the distributed load tool. But sometimes, the end of the distributed load (the end placed last) ends up a long way up in the air above the truss. This was placed in top/plan view, with the red auto-connect highlight to start the placement and then clicked on a variety of different objects at the other end of the truss: 2D truss geometry, the toggle-able truss centreline, the end loci, various things. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, I can't figure out why.

Edit: layer options set to Active Only, and I can still (sometimes) reproduce this

Any ideas please?

Thanks

image.png.d9186b360d89278499a1fc20639df515.png

Edited by spettitt
On 3/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, jcogdell said:

Hi Simon

Is there anything that it could possibly snap too that is not visible?

Can you send me a email with the file so I can take a look

Gruße

Jesse

Hi Jesse, sorry for the slow response. I've just managed to re-create this so will mail you the file. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Moritz,

The first click was the left-most end of the line, at the same height as the truss. For this click, I got the red diamond braceworks snapping line. For the second click (the high part), I clicked at the right-most end of the truss, at a variety of other bits of the truss - the end loci, 2D truss geometry etc. There was no roof or venue or anything higher that could be snapped to instead. I will make sure to get the red snapping line at the end of the truss as well.

Thanks

Simon

Not for nothing but I typically draw distributed loads in Plan view with the Simplified Truss class visible. Haven't seen this issue before. Have you checked the layer elevation settings for the layer that you're drawing the load? Maybe that's bumping it up? Also, have you done the usual troubleshooting steps like pasting into a fresh file or starting from scratch (just the truss and loads) in a fresh file to see if the same issue happens there?

6 hours ago, Lunar Waneshaft said:

Not for nothing but I typically draw distributed loads in Plan view with the Simplified Truss class visible. Haven't seen this issue before. Have you checked the layer elevation settings for the layer that you're drawing the load? Maybe that's bumping it up? Also, have you done the usual troubleshooting steps like pasting into a fresh file or starting from scratch (just the truss and loads) in a fresh file to see if the same issue happens there?

Thanks. All Layer Elevs set to 0 in the file. I pasted the complete truss system in to a new file and re-created it. The show file had a stage referenced in, but the top part of the stage roof would have definitely been lower than the height the load went up to. Nothing was in the file up that high.

Next week I plan to repeat this a bunch of times on a fresh file with a new truss system and see what happens.

This is a long shot but also wondering if the 3D geometry is at the correct Z in the truss symbol definition? Or possibly something related to the truss plugin details (like the bounding box or wherever it’s called)? Maybe even the units of the truss record (similar to the long-standing L’Acoustics issue)?