VW Site Model to IFC

jpccrodrigues

Question

Hi guys, 

Can anyone tell if the export ifc works with site model? I'm working with an office that uses revit and the site model object is becoming a problem. 

Export directly a RVT file, the site model becomes a generic volume, that hardly "translates" to a terrain object within revit. 

The export ifc isn't working, tried a lot of variations on its settings, but the file comes empty. 

Anyone can give a help? Thanks!! 

4 answers to this question

Vectorworks has set the setting so that the Site Model is exported as IfcSite. This is wrong. IfcSite is geographic location and not an object. IFC files can only have one IfcSite and will therefore become a problem when we use several Site Models in the project.

You must change the mapping on all your Site Models yourself. If you use IFC2x3 you should use IfcBuildingElementProxy while if you use IFC4 you should use IfcGeographicElement. Hope this helps and I hope Vectorworks makes this change in their settings.

• Like 4

Upon exporting an IFC file, you find that the model is empty, it typically means that the objects within the model didn't have IFC data attached. You can add it yourself though. 

I've never personally had to add IFC data to a terrain model, but my guess would be that you could attach the IfcCivilElement or IfcGeographicElement data and then try the export again.

Edited by Ned Flanders

I've recently opened a file in VW2024 with several site models that I created back in VW2021, and am also having an issue where only 1 site model shows up in the export.

I've checked with both IFC2x3 (assigning IfcBuildingElementProxy) as used to work in VW2021, and IFC4 (assigning IfcGeographicElement) to no avail. I am sure opening an old file and converting to the new version is causing some issues...but can't really figure out why it wouldn't work.