Spotlight is changing fixture types to c clamp - super non-productive

mjm

Question

But maybe as usual, I am missing something.  if you watch, you might see 'select similar' tool choosing by purpose. At the fourth fixture, it make all the boom fixtures into C-Clamps. Side note: It's not always the fourth, could be third, fifth etc. never got as far as fixture 6.

Breathtakingly frustrating, and if it's me someone clue me in so I can get something done.

14 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Scott C. Parker said:

Are you holding down an modifier keys when clicking on additional fixtures? Shift, cmd, etc?

Do all the units have data in the Purpose field?

Can you share the file?

Hey @Scott C. Parker; thanks for your interest, much appreciated. no mod keys held down, it seems to happen regularly when I deploy the amazing Savvy Select Similar tool from @JBenghiat, my single most used tool in the savvy collection. Because that's about the only way I select anymore on a fleshed out plot I have no idea if it happens by other selection methods. The cursor you see in the video is from SSS. I'll see what I can get you file-wise, need permission from clients 1st. Just hoping the problem is some simple adjustment on my end

Your symbols are constructed with your clamps as accessories (this is how they default now, and I'm not in favor if this unless you're pulling a complete shop order). When SSS turns blue pre-selection, it's letting you know that you're hovering over an accessory. You're not changing your Lighting Devices to accessories; what you're seeing is the tool selecting all the clamps for you and setting that as the active component to edit in Object Info. Either remote Light Info from the clamp in your lighting symbols, or be careful where you're clicking.

HTH

• Like 2
On 3/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, JBenghiat said:

@mjm I'll add that your Object Info seems to be using custom parameter settings, and is out of date. The standard configuration has "Edit Cell" and "Edit Accessory" dropdown menus under Instrument Type, which would make it more clear that you have the light's accessory selected.

@JBenghiat That's very interesting about the OIP being custom. No idea how that would could happen. Does that happen when opening 

On 3/12/2023 at 7:42 PM, JBenghiat said:

Your symbols are constructed with your clamps as accessories (this is how they default now, and I'm not in favor if this unless you're pulling a complete shop order). When SSS turns blue pre-selection, it's letting you know that you're hovering over an accessory. You're not changing your Lighting Devices to accessories; what you're seeing is the tool selecting all the clamps for you and setting that as the active component to edit in Object Info. Either remote Light Info from the clamp in your lighting symbols, or be careful where you're clicking.

HTH

@JBenghiat Thank you for this Josh. May I ask (to all interested)—which choice do you make: removing Light Info from the clamps or  better muscle memory?

15 hours ago, mjm said:

which choice do you make: removing Light Info from the clamps or  better muscle memory?

Let first say that how SSS performs with Lighting Devices is quite marvelous and very helpful.  As for my preference in fixture/clamp configuration, I much prefer to keep the clamp as part of the fixture.  I have no need to count clamps.  I count fixtures.  If necessary, I count the fixtures that don't need them.  Side arms and similar steel are another matter.  I count them separately, and not as accessories.  I fear this is just me.  That kind of granularity I prefer to keep in data records, not separate drawing objects.

Edited by Sam Jones
correct spelling
  • Like 2

Also, the thought of having to assign a clamp to each fixture I drop is very irritating.  I have a script and VW has mode that will allow for the assignment of accessories to groups of objects, but having to do so is still more irritating than counting fixtures with clamps, or alternatively the ones without clamps.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mjm said:

That's very interesting about the OIP being custom. No idea how that would could happen. Does that happen when opening 

It can happen if you are working on a drawing that someone else has started dropping Lighting Devices (LDs)  into.  Those LDs will show the OIP used by the person who placed them and will be the starting default going forward.  You will need to go to and select File / Document Settings / Spotlight Preferences.  In the resulting dialog,  select "Parameters" in the left hand column.  In the "Settings" drop down menu, select "<Spotlight>, and this will return the OIP to the Spotlight default display. 

Of course, you could also make your own custom display.

image.thumb.png.44099b7850081ee328d9184e42aa4c03.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sam Jones said:

It can happen if you are working on a drawing that someone else has started dropping Lighting Devices (LDs) 

Or more specifically, the OIP configuration saves with the file. The setting in Preference will also become default for the subsequent new file.

17 hours ago, mjm said:

@JBenghiat Thank you for this Josh. May I ask (to all interested)—which choice do you make: removing Light Info from the clamps or  better muscle memory?

In most cases, I'm dealing with one of two scenarios: I have a house inventory, and no one is dealing with clamps in the paperwork, or I have a production electrician in charge of pulling iron, and then they're using a separate "Iron" field in LW and not an accessory in VW. Either way, I don't want clamps to show up as accessories. I also don't really care about seeing the right hanging hardware in 3D, as long as the distance below the pipe is correct.

• Like 1