Replace 2D component of VW 3D library symbol

I've been using VW Spotlight 2009 since 2009 and just upgraded to Spotlight 2023 to begin drafting in 3D. I would like to replace the 2D symbol geometry of some of the VW 3D library symbols with custom 2D symbols but am really struggling with how to accomplish this. I know the geometry of library symbols can't be edited but I'm not clear on how to create a duplicate for editing. The best I've come up with is highlighting the library symbol, using it to create a brand new symbol and editing that, but this doesn't seem right. Following along with this workflow, I was able to replace an existing 2D symbol with my own and the 2D/3D views works as expected, but the link to the record info attached to the original library symbol was broken. Can anyone suggest a simple method to accomplish this? I don't want to generate 2D symbols from 3D symbols, I just want to use 2D symbols I already have.

Thank you,

Derrick

1. Import the symbol you want to duplicate
  2. Make sure your resource manager is show the active document.
  3. Right click on the symbol, choose duplicate.  Give it a unique name.
  4. Right click on the new symbol. Choose Edit 2D Component. 

This should keep the record attached to the symbol.  

To make matters more confusing, your existing 2009 symbols probably (I don't remember exactly what was going on in 2009) have very similar, but outdated record formats. VW may ask if you want replace a record format with one tagging along on an import.  That will flush out the old record format of the same name.

Post back if that's not working.

• Like 1

Michael,

Thanks for your answer but I stalled on step 1.

I need to duplicate a VW2023 library symbol that's already in VW - do I need to export it so I can import it? The Import Symbol (batch) command only works on non .vwx file formats. I tried making a .vwx file containing some of the VW library 3D symbols, exporting it as a .dwg and re-importing it using Import Symbol (batch) but I ended up with a blank page. Same result using .3ds format. Am I misunderstanding step 1?

Derrick

When you are looking at resources in the Resource Manager, you have those which are in the active file plus those which are in other files you might currently have open plus those in the Favorites + Libraries files. You can only edit resources which are in the active file so any other resource you need to import it into your active file by right-clicking on it + selecting Import (which will place it in the Resource Manager for the active file but not in the drawing area itself), dragging it into the drawing area or double-clicking on it + placing it in the drawing area. This is all that's meant by steps 1 + 2: bring the resource into your active file so that you can then duplicate it + edit the duplicate.

• Like 1

With the symbol imported, active and placed in the document, there is no DUPLICATE command available from the right click menu (see attached image.) I can use CTRL D to duplicate, which produces a copy of the symbol that retains all the properties of the original, including the inability to edit. I tried renaming the duplicated symbol by editing the INSTRUMENT TYPE field in the Properties dialogue that pops up after choosing EDIT (this is effectively the symbol's name - see attached image) but this didn't break the link to the original locked symbol file.

What am I doing wrong?

right click.pdf Edit menu.pdf

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You should not be trying to duplicate symbols that are placed on your drawing layer. There is a duplicate command in the right click menu when you right click on the symbol in the Resource Manager itself. All of the symbol duplicating should be done from the RM itself and then you will see a name window popup where you can change the name. You should definitely make sure to use the current record as well as there have been at least six record format changes between VW2009 and 2023. I have attached a screenshot of what the right click should look when you right click on a symbol that is within the RM in your active document.

Duplicate.png

That was the missing link I needed! Right clicking on a VW library symbol in the RM did not produce the edit menu in Justin's reply but IMPORTING the symbol (now I understand what Michael & Tom meant) into a user folder from the RM unlocked it for editing and everything was easy after that. Thank you all for your patience in helping me figure this out. Now I've got a lot of work to do.

Derrick

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dpkolus said:

That was the missing link I needed! Right clicking on a VW library symbol in the RM did not produce the edit menu in Justin's reply but IMPORTING the symbol (now I understand what Michael & Tom meant) into a user folder from the RM unlocked it for editing and everything was easy after that. Thank you all for your patience in helping me figure this out. Now I've got a lot of work to do.

Derrick

So great when you get the missing link!

A note about nomenclature: 

• Symbol items in the Resource Manager are symbol definitions.
  • Related symbol items placed in the drawing area are symbol instances.

Many of us (I’m guilty of this) use the word “symbol” to mean either one, assuming context sorts the intended meaning. This can also cause confusion.  The process required here is to duplicate and edit the symbol definition (in the RM).

At least sometimes, using nuanced terminology can help with troubleshooting or explanations of a process. 

Same applies to styles, sort of a definition or preset for walls, etc. Objects from styles placed in the drawing space can be edited and duplicated and converted to unstyled. But this does not affect the style in the RM. . 

-B

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

A note about nomenclature: 

• Symbol items in the Resource Manager are symbol definitions.
  • Related symbol items placed in the drawing area are symbol instances.

Many of us (I’m guilty of this) use the word “symbol” to mean either one, assuming context sorts the intended meaning. This can also cause confusion.  The process required here is to duplicate and edit the symbol definition (in the RM).

At least sometimes, using nuanced terminology can help with troubleshooting or explanations of a process. 

Same applies to styles, sort of a definition or preset for walls, etc. Objects from styles placed in the drawing space can be edited and duplicated and converted to unstyled. But this does not affect the style in the RM. . 

-B

And by extension when we discuss 'Resources' we are always talking about the definition/style I think. Having a resource in your active file doesn't necessarily mean you have an instance of that resource in the drawing.

• Like 2