Offset tool

I think @deadtomorrowis using offset by point mode, where you can type a value into the cursor prompt box, in which case you can type a positive or negative value.

@deadtomorrow if you want to offset by a certain dimension, you need to use the offset by distance mode, as @Tom W. advised above. Then you put that dimension in the box in the top bar, and choose whether it's inside or outside by where you click the pointer. In this case making it negative doesn't make any difference.

(As an aside I do now and again find the offset tool goes the "wrong" way - I click inside an object and it offsets outside, or vice versa.)

10 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I think @deadtomorrowis using offset by point mode, where you can type a value into the cursor prompt box, in which case you can type a positive or negative value.

I don't think I've ever used Offset by Point Mode! But if you use it + are still typing a value into the floating data bar rather than just clicking the cursor on a point on the drawing then I'm not sure what difference there is to using Offset by Distance mode? Also, I can't see any difference in outcome whether you enter a positive or minus number in this mode either...? As far as I can see in both modes it's the side of the Rectangle you click - inside or outside - that makes the difference, not whether the value is positive or negative...?

If you're starting off in Vectorworks, one of the most important things to learn early on is to always look at the Mode bar (that area in Tom's screengrab above) which changes depending on which tool you're in, and which determines how that tool will work. You should always be aware of which modes you're currently using. You can also hover over the buttons for a moment and a tooltip should appear explaining what that mode does.

Also notice the little vertical lines in the mode bar, which separate all the mode buttons into mode groups. Only one option in each group can be active at a time, so for example with the Offset tool you first choose either Offset by Distance Mode or Offset by Point Mode, then you choose either Duplicate and Offset Mode or Offset Original Object Mode. The way these modes combine greatly affect the outcome. Then there's also the Tool Preferences button which gives you a pop-up with even more options.

• Like 2