Cutting a Generic Solid with Split Tool Seems inconsistent

This is not the first time I have run into the issue of the Split tool not behaving as I expect. I don't do a whole lot of 3D modeling, so I usually stumble through it and never completely understand the why.

Today I am messing around with a truss symbol and I want to adjust the overall size. My project involves taking the Generic Solid and cutting out certain sections to resize it. Using the Split Tool to do this, it works some times but doesn't work other times.

Looking at the attached file, in a top view, I can use the Split Tool and cut the Solid into two solids if I draw a horizontal line through the oject. But if I draw a vertical line, the object highlights red, but doesn't actually split into two objects. Messing around a bit more I can see the tool seems to work if it splits the tube portion of the solid but not when just splitting some of the other parts.

Can someone help clarify this behavior for me so that I can better understand. It just isn't intuitive to me for some reason.

Thanks.

Split Generic Solid.vwx

I'm getting the same result as you. Sometimes this happen. I will report it as a bug. As a workaround though you could draw an extruded line to create a Surface and then use the Surface with the Section Solids command which works absolutely fine. (This is essentially what the Split Tool is doing anyway)

Hope that helps.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 3
  • 5 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, markdd said:

As a workaround though you could draw an extruded line to create a Surface and then use the Surface with the Section Solids command which works absolutely fine. (This is essentially what the Split Tool is doing anyway)

I tried doing this, but when I use section solids it deletes the other half of the object. Is there a way to make section solids retain both sides of the split?