Saved Views - Redefine View needs a menu command

shorter

Question

7 answers to this question

Perhaps an even better solution would be to make the "Save View" window more versatile (since it already exists in all relevant locations including the View dropdown, so a hotkey can be assigned). In this window it could easier to directly update existing views; currently you have to perfectly retype the name of an existing view from memory.

The "View Name" field could start blank, as it does, if you want to make a view with a new name. But it could also have a dropdown arrow to choose from a list of existing saved views. So if you choose an existing saved view name then you're effectively Redefining it. (Perhaps the "OK" button changes to say "Redefine" if you're overwriting an existing view).

121830583_ScreenShot2022-09-22at12_29_47PM.png.65c4d4d0f59c69c95c46d3a45944413e.png

This would allow you to assign a keyboard shortcut to the existing Save View command under the View menu. Just adding a bit more versatility to an existing command without complicating anything.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is a technical reason why this cannot currently be done:  A Saved View is actually a command rather than a set state or mode.  Think of it like a script.  Once it's run, it's done.  IOW, I Redefine View command would not know which view to redefine.  Sure, we could store the last Save View that was run, but this could cause unintended behavior as well.  I'm not saying we cannot ever do this, just explaining why it's not there now. 😉 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

There is a technical reason why this cannot currently be done:  A Saved View is actually a command rather than a set state or mode.  Think of it like a script.  Once it's run, it's done.  IOW, I Redefine View command would not know which view to redefine.  Sure, we could store the last Save View that was run, but this could cause unintended behavior as well.  I'm not saying we cannot ever do this, just explaining why it's not there now. 😉 

Couldn't a command initiate a pop-up asking which Saved View to redefine? It could auto-populate the most recently-used Saved View since that's likely the desired choice, though you could still choose a different one.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
21 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Couldn't a command initiate a pop-up asking which Saved View to redefine? It could auto-populate the most recently-used Saved View since that's likely the desired choice, though you could still choose a different one.

Right. I just wanted to clarify that the problem is not quite as simple as one might think.  Still not difficult but it would require that additional step for the user.

I may be misunderstanding this feature request. 

While I like the the idea of having a menu command, I usually edit my views using the saved view pulldown menu at the top bar. 

EDIT:  Now I see.  You would like to redefine as opposed to edit.  I guess I just make sure to remember the view name, which overwrites/redefines. 

97693912_ScreenShot2022-09-22at12_27_45PM.png.7629feb0b1807f90f24533e785ba5a98.png

Edited by cberg