Editing Object Info via Worksheet

I have ~5000 objects with custom record formats attached.  I now wish to modify a parameter of the objects (Z-chord) based on criteria drawn from the record format.  I've created a worksheet using a database formula that populates the objects I wish to modify. Unfortunately, it appears that I can not change data via a worksheet, I can only view existing entries. 

What's the best approach to make changes to groups of objects that are selected via several criteria?  I have about a hundred distinct modifications I need to make (each group of ~50 objects gets the same z-chord value), that are mathematically related (i.e. each subsequent subset of objects should increase its z-chord by 190 mm).

I'd appreciate any insight on how best to move forward.

Edited by jeff_farrow

Hey Jeff. I don’t think you can typically change an objects location directly via a data base worksheet (if that’s what you mean by changing the “z-chord”).

Perhaps try the custom modification command using pretty much the same criteria for the worksheet. This will maybe have an option to edit the z co-ordinates of the selected objects.

Failing that the unsummarised database worksheets have an option to select the objects listed. So you could run through your worksheet selecting the objects and adjusting their z co-ordinates that way.

Hey Boh, I have been using the "select data items" in the database worksheet, but I was hoping for a more efficient / elegant solution. 

I've been brute forcing it using this technique, but I've some time and Id like to expand my skill set.

Here's my worksheet.

=DATABASE(INOBJECT & ((R IN ['Seat Data']) & ('Seat Data'.'Location'='UPPER ORCH 200')))

then summarized by column 2 ('Row')

I need to increment the ZCOORRDINATE by 190.  I would expect a simple spreadsheet formula (=cell.above+190) to give me the desired result, but worksheets can only pull data, and I need to push it back to the objects.  Does this require a script solution?

49519346_Screenshot2022-09-07100028.thumb.jpg.6a3d4a0cbb949227ed040f20d4af2954.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-07 100028.jpg

Edited by jeff_farrow

I don't think the object functions can be changed from worksheets. 

If you are just trying to alter the height, then would it not be quicker to select them using the custom Selection command and then use the Move 3D command which will add relative height.?

Perhaps a script created by the Custom Modification Command could be the start of a script to change relative heights?

I see why I couldn't find it :-). 

@jeff_farrow this might be helpful.  Import the worksheet and the script palette from this drawing.  The Magic columns are editable coordinates.

I tested it with mm as the documents units and it worked.  Let me know if it's off by a factor of 25.4 or something similar. 

btw, if you do a lot with theater seating check this out:  https://www.verysmallgroup.com/theaterow

move it again.vwx

• Love 1